View Single Post
Originally Posted by PJE View Post
You have to be a little careful with these numbers, a lot of Opera browsers are set to spoof IE or Netscape. I currently have my N800 spoofing the iPhone's id to allow me access to the google iPhone pages (with a Greasemonkey script).
Yeah, I use the iPhone useragent and that greasemonkey script, but you hit the one thing that bothers me. I don't like the idea of artificially inflating Google's impression of the number of iPhone users, while deflating their impression of the number of, say, Nokia IT users. That won't encourage them to bring better service that doesn't require greasemonkey scripts to display more than 240px wide...

Maybe we should try coming up with a different useragent string that gets past the filter so we receive iPhone sites, but we will show up differently in their logs...

Here's one that works with GMail, at least:
Mozilla/5.0 (N8x0 like iPhone; U; Linux like Mac OS X; ARM; en) AppleWebkit/420+ (Gecko, like KHTML)
Bookmark
Code:
about:config?prefname=general.useragent.override&prefvalue=Mozilla%2F5.0+%28N8x0+like+iPhone%3B+U%3B+Linux+like+Mac+OS+X%3B+ARM%3B+en%29+AppleWebKit%2F420%2B+%28Gecko%2C+like+KHTML%29
to set your UA string to it, and
Code:
about:config?prefname=general.useragent.override&prefvalue=
to set it back to default.
Edit: That doesn't set it to default, but to ""; don't do it.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-05-27 at 19:52.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: