View Single Post
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Does your job also include finishing a project because I haven't seen much of that?

Along those lines, since you say that MeeGo in your personal opinion has most future does that mean that Nokia is supporting Mer and if not then why is Mer being worked on if MeeGo in your opinion is a more plausible OS option?

I'm sorry to sound 'bitter' but honestly the lack of focus ('Mer for N8xx', 'No wait, we're also doing Mer for N900', 'No wait Mer is dead now it's Mer2 that will come', 'Oh wait. no MeeGo on N8xx is better') is indeed rather tiring and has become one huge disappointment.

If your job, as you mention above, is to start development of things in the community I think you've done that. But if you going forward expect people to beta test, etc you might also want to think about sticking to a project.
Sometimes you have to look at the amount of support a project gets and say "not enough people care".
At least, not enough care enough to spend time making it happen.

As an example: How much time have you personally put into Mer silvermountain? Either development, docs, supporting others .. that kind of thing?
Probably not a lot - and that's fine, it's a volunteer thing

However, if not enough people volunteer then.... it doesn't happen.

It turns out that Merm as originally conceivedm was too hard for just a few core devs to deliver and, IMHO, the maemo community didn't engage enough.

Oh, and if you find it disappointing that it wasn't delivered then how disappointing do you think it is when you spend literally months of your life non-stop, 12+hours a day, 7 days a week working on a project and people typically say "Isn't it ready yet? Oh, I can't code, sorry." (I do sometimes wonder if it will come as a surprise to many of those people to find that coders learn to code by doing research and working at it!)

Anyhow...

Meego, by contrast, is much more open and reduces the effort needed to get the N8x0 up and running. There should be a reference UI too - lots of things to make it easier.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lbt For This Useful Post: