View Single Post
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Please, add support for "private" flags to the appointments in the syncable calendar.

For background: I asked on the meego.org forum if the N9 calendar supports private flags on the syncable calendar and got the answer "no" (thank you loughney for the answer!) but that the N9 supports nonsyncable calendars on phone (I assume the same way than N900).

Now, I have been using N900 for my primary portable device for a year and a half and there is one thing that bothers me each and every day and it is that I can not sync my private appointments to my work Outlook. At work, we keep our calendars open for other to see. It is really convenient to see what my work mates are doing and also if they are reserved for a private reason for a given time.

I assume that for a technical point of view it would be straightforward to add support for this to a calendar GUI. At least on N900 the devices calendar database has this information available (there is a separate column for this) and appointments marked at Outlook as private carry their private flags to database when synced.

So I have to assume that the ability to set private flags has been left out because of a design decision so that the UI would be simple and non confusing ("I have a separate private calendar, what does this mean to set appointment private on syncable calendar?").

I would kindly like the designers to reconsider the decision to not support the private flags: after all, people who use syncable calendars are used to setting private flags and would most probably not get confused by this possibility.

If there is an actual technical reason (calendar database actually could not handle this, Ovi Suite/Exchange implementation can't handle this or something like that) for not supporting this option, it would nice to hear about it so that I could start thinking how to go around the problem (which I probably how to do anyway).

Thank you for reading. If you are wondering the use cases for the private flags I can give a couple on a separate post.

This might not be the best place ask for this but on the other hand I just wanted to share my thoughts on this subject. And I do get that change for this to be implemented is around zero but you can't blame a guy for trying, can you?