View Single Post
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
There's a couple of false assumptions here. Being FOSS doesn't mean being on its own. Nokia can continue to support maemo as a FOSS project. It may even be better because there are people within Nokia who want to kill maemo/meego/linux and getting some of it out of Nokia might be the best way to let it grow. There are ample precedents for companies using FOSS, and here the chance of someone using some derivative of maemo from FOSS is definitely higher than them using Nokia's maemo. Of course, there are other advantages I will not go into.

I'm not saying FOSS is the best solution, just pointing out that it's not a binary black/white decision - there are shades of gray and should not be precluded as a possibility because of the few things mentioned.
come to mind, indeed

only problem i can think of... GNU / Linux distros run on your standard PC, thus HW support is no problem; we have NITDroid which is tweaked to run on N9(00), but has anyone tried to run Maemo (Freemantle or Harmattan) on a standard ANDroid device?
may seem a trivial detail, but i think until we have that, sticking with NOKIA (i.e. hardware platform) would seem a prudent choice.

would we have the knowledgeable folks to write drivers for ANDroid devices? e-yes comes to mind, of course, but...

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post: