View Single Post
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Marshall Banana View Post
Can somebody enlighten me what's the point of this design?
One low power co-proccessor for standby-stuff i could understand, but what's this good for:
2x Cortex A72 @2.5GHz
4x Cortex A53 @2.0GHz
4x Cortex A53 @1.55GHz

If i run a webserver on my pocket-computer or do heterogenous supercomputing?

Or is it for power management?
This confuses and interests me also. This goes a little bit offtopic, but I have been wondering nowadays' Android phones with 8-core processors etc.

I have no knowledge at processors/threads/strings/whatever, but I do remember when AMD published the first 6-cores for gaming. It was said that only some few programs really know what to do with those six cores. And I remember some performance tests where AMD 4-core processors performed better than otherwise identical 6-cores.

Many things may have changed from those times, but every time I read about a device having 8-core processor or even multiple processors, I start wondering. So the question is: Can an Android device really put all those processors and cores to good use? I guess it also depends on what you do with that device. For example do you get the benefits of multiple cores only when multitasking or heavy gaming, or does it also give energy savings and longer usage time?

Last edited by Koiruus; 2017-03-05 at 14:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post: