View Single Post
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Thanks Brent! It installed without any problem and showed up on the desktop. Enhancement requests:
  • The size of the buttons works well. Don't make it larger.
  • In the "Type A Search Query" dialogue, could you add a keyevent for ENTER to immediately start the search?
  • In the same dialogue, let the user touch the searchengine logo to change the search engine used in another way?
  • The button is very dark, what about a thin semi-transparent frame around it like other widgets have?
  • The right button is incomprehensible. What does it represent? Using a pulldown/choose button as seen in other apps.
  • In "Select A Site To Search", mark the current searchengine when opening the dialogue - otherwise cancelling it will change the search to Google.
  • Compared to Nokias search widget in OS2008: Is there some kind of config file available to modify? How can we add our own searches? Could GConf help?
Anyway - I like the widget very much. It looks really good and works well :-) Thanks again!
  • Good
  • Could you file a bug on this (bugs.maemo.org > TouchSearch)? That is a serious one. Thanks.
  • Someone else suggested that; it shouldn't be to difficult to implement.
  • The RSS widget in Scratchbox looks very dark, so I figured that was the UI style. Semi-transparent would require me to mess with Cairo (?), and frankly, that's been my house of horrors.
  • Could you link to something like that, or if it's a stock item just tell me the name? Thanks.
  • I'll look into that. The "close-auto-selects-google" is a bug. It has to do with the (kludge) I'm using to call the hildon.PickerDialog.
  • I plan on adding many more searches to the applet in future versions -- but would also like to implement a way for users to add their own.

Thanks for all the comments! Oh, also: could you add a thumbs up to the package page (link)? I'm trying to get this pushed to Extras. Thanks!

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900