View Single Post
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
As much as I like the N900 and Maemo (and with the full knowledge that I bought a little computer and not just a phone), I would like to see the phone be a little easier to use. I sometimes feel like simple things like dialing, accessing the keypad for phone menus, answering, and even speed dialing takes too many keypresses or is buried under too many menus.

I also have a little confusion as to the location of the public directories. When I connect via USB and copy files over, when I copy files to the device via bluetooth, and when I ssh into the device, I seem to go to different (and, apparently, hidden) directories. Those should be more standardized and easier to find.

Also, it is too easy to accidentally turn the thing off from the security keypad...if you hit outside the keypad dialog, it asks you if you want to turn it off. Once a month or so, it gets turned off by bouncing around in the car or my pocket through the right combination of hits.

I am expecting a number of issues (such as the ability to respond to meeting requests) to be resolved in 1.2, and others (such as the lack of indicators for missed calls and messages) have been addressed well by the community. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing more of the basic features and indicators that I have always had on previous phones.

I would also like to see a few more standardized, good-looking, finger-friendly input methods that we could use in apps (presumably Qt stuff). Flickable numeric entry, date entry, and list selections that don't force open a new window would help us write some useable and good looking apps. If fancy inputs and numeric displays were available for me to use in python, but were written in native libraries, we should be able to use them without performance problems. And different apps would work in a more uniform fashion.

I hope that is the kind of thing you are looking for. And don't get me wrong...I think you have done a great job with this gizmo. I just want you to keep making it better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post: