View Single Post
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
<snip>
  • Bugs in bugzilla seem to get real treatment now.
  • Applications move to the "Extras"-repository.
  • The Wiki is suddenly useful.
  • Activities in the community are documented and announced in a transparent way.
<snip>
These things are improving, possibly, but need to be taken into context of the alternative.
When I got my N810 a year ago I wanted a shirt pocket computer that with tweaking I could make function as a PDA.
With AbiWord, Gnumeric, Claws-Mail and a suite of smaller tools (OTG!!!) it's great. These all came from the community. Unix scripts to to a number of functions came from seamless ports.
However I researched the N810 vs alternatives and KNEW what I was getting into. I figured I would not have a seamless PIM with a great GPS, two way video Skype with a PC, able to control my PS3. These are still hopes.
So - things have improved. If I used to wake up and bash my head with a 4X4 to get things started, I would now be bashing my head with a 2x2.
Of course if I had a similarly sized Windoze machine maybe I would not be bashing my head.

The "joy of owning the device" is there but still could be improved.

Also - "so if you have a question, you need to put it at the bottom of a bottomless pit of messages. " I find this VERY useful if the peeps could do it. That way when I click on a thread and view last post I can be up to date with hopefully less repetition.
PLEASE use the Wiki