View Single Post
Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
when you look at the likes of the Ipad, and the Dell streak, and the other tablets coming onto market such as Archos, you realise how ahead of the game Nokia was, certainly with the N8x0s, and I agree that they have just wasted their lead. If Nokia had given the N8x0 a decent midlife refresh of the OS, and pushed it more, and had a bit more of an incremental step towards maemo5, then I think that they would have had the tablet market eating out of their hand.
It may sound like a bit of a cop-out but at least in the USA, it is very difficult for anyone other than Apple to "create" a market segment like that. Nokia just does not have the same allure to the press and, would seem, sufficient understanding of what drives consumers to such things - i.e. make them buy something they did not know they needed .
Regrettably, seeing how much of the tech press and major software companies reside in the USA, it means that it would have been an uphill battle. I would speculate that in many ways the prior Maemo devices were as much about feeling out the market as much as getting a niche device out. They were well-received but only in certain circles, it would seem.
I am certain that did colour how Maemo 5 and the break later to MeeGo came about. I wouldn't say desperation, it is the wrong word. Perhaps frustration with seeing others getting a hold of a market that could have been cornered years ago.

Last edited by skalogre; 2010-06-11 at 17:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post: