View Single Post
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
Thanks for testing ogg-support 1.1.1 with Marble everyone, appreciated. Great to hear it's now working fine, just in time for Marble 1.2.0 which will land in extras-devel pretty soon.

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Well, as far as I could tell yesterday the voice navigation worked fine with ogg-support 1.1.1.

What bothers me is that even though the N900 volume was set to the max, the voice instructions were a bit too quiet for my taste (or rather, for my ears . Maybe it's an issue with the voice files, so I'll try to test with another voice.
Increasing the volume of the sound files (using e.g. audacity) would work. Note that there is still an issue with the playback since phonon (which we use for playback) seems to ignore the volume settings of the device.

Another thing that really bothers me is that when I'm traveling south, the arrow is pointing (and moving) down, which:

(1) makes it difficult to have an overview of where you are and what's coming, especially because:

(2) the "status bar" having the navigation instructions is always at the bottom and taking a good 25-30% of the screen real estate, so basically all I could see was an arrow pointing to the status bar, i.e. no details of where I was heading to.
This is indeed annoying. So far I didn't fix it as the code part that does the centering is not aware of the position of the boxes drawn upon the map. So if I'd hardcode it (ugly) to center on a more upward points, moving the info box around would kill that hack.

As a further suggestion I would like to have portrait-mode support (I cannot reliably turn my holder 90°), plus normally you want to see what's ahead of you (see points 1 and 2 above), not what is left and right of you..
Portrait mode (and many other nice UI improvements) will come with the MeeGo version "Marble Touch" we're currently working on. We've got a GSOC student working on it currently and can test it on a N950 (which is btw. an amazing device, both in terms of hardware and software).

Also, if I may, I would like to ask what I have to do to have SI units instead of those archaic miles. I realise my settings (all LC_* variables) are set to en_US, but I've read about regional settings not being properly handled my Marble/QT, so it would be nice if one could configure this (it's just setting one of two alternatives) independently of the device's regional/language/who-knows-what settings.

Thanks a lot!
Regional settings are now handled correctly by Marble on the N900. If you want a different distance unit than your regional settings specify, you can edit the config file /home/user/.config/kde.org/Marble Desktop Globe.conf
Scroll down to the [View] section and change it like this

Code:
[View]
distanceUnit=0
Another thing I personally change there is setting angleUnit=1 which results in decimal degree display instead of decimal degrees minutes seconds.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post: