Thread: oFono announced
View Single Post
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
I would LOVE for Nokia to step up and provide me with that device. An N97 that was the size of an N810 (4.1" screen with 800x480)
That's not a million miles from what Nokia's Communicator series were intended as. They were meant to be computers in your pocket, and they even had their own custom version of Symbian (Series 80) which was designed entirely for use on Communicator phones.

The latest Communicator, the E90, was the first to use the standard S60 interface instead of Series 80, which meant it both gained and lost fans (depending on whether you preferred S60 or Series 80).

I wonder if we might one day see a Maemo-based device using the Communicator brand? It would certainly make sense as Maemo seems to be closer to the spirit of the Communicators than S60 is.

And Communicators aren't a Symbian-only range, they originally ran a totally different OS called GEOS, which was first released on desktop computers.

(Incidentally the PC/Communicator GEOS is nothing to do with the 8-bit GEOS though they were made by the same company apparently.)