Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Some pages back (or was it in OSM thread?) i suggested to look into OBDfish for reliable speed data when gps is not available.
Great to see I'm not the only crazy one with ODB in mind.

Note that (on purpose) speed won't be reliable.

In several jurisdiction, it's illegal to under-estimate the speed.
If you go 81km/h but your car says 80km/h, the garage that did the setting will definitely get into trouble.
Thus it's common to put a (usually -5 km/h) bias in the reported speed to be on the safe side.

I would strongly suspect that the ODB reports the "corrected safe" speed.
(Haven't been hacking ODB, so I can't confirm. But any other car instrument such as adaptive cruise control seem to rely on the same speed).

So it might be useful to either give an opposite correction, or have the smartphone compute the correction while GPS is up.

It would be so cool if pure maps could pick up some data from a running obd fish instance and do magic no nav app has done so far(?).
Technically some of the embed satnavs *do* use the speedometer and compass as a fall back (random example, my parent's Volvo).
And on some cars, the satnav is an actually Android app running on Android Car (in my experience: on some Renault Zoé I've rented).
So there are other apps that do it, but it's a very specific exception (the app is running on a special platform that provide this), definitely not something that smartphone can provide.

(Well, maybe the comma.ai's openpilot would, in theory)

Taking exits in tunnels is much more complicated though, i concour.
Some of the integrated satnav tend to try to guess from the car's compass heading.

In the specific case of Sailfish Apps, on platforms where it is supported, it could be possible to use the smartphone compass, provided that :
- it got calibrated during the time when GPS was available (i.e.: app sees that GPS reports the car driving straight ahead, but smartphone's compass is a bit "off" because apparently the driver has turned the smartphone toward them to have better visibility).
- the driver (or passenger) hasn't fumbled with the smartphone's stand while in the tunnel.

Sadly the turn indicator is not hooked to any ECU even in modern cars, so it is not accessible via obd2.
Shouldn't the turn lever be hooked on cars with Lane Departure Alarm System (LDAS), so it is communicated to the camera and the camera knows if a (dashed)-line crossing is expected or not ?
(If you change lane and put the turn signal, the LDAS is silent.
If you forgot to put the signal, or are slowly veering out of your lane, the LDAS sounds).

On non-hooked LDAS (such as some aftermarket dashcam, or satnav/dashcam combo like Garmin), the alarm only sounds on non-dashed (non-crossable) line crossing.
(LDAS never sounds on lanes, only when you reach the highway's borders).

But it is mostly not necessary because i rarely remember having to take multiple exits in one continuous tunnel.

The most common situation are tunnels with some exits that leave out of the tunnel so the the signal would be picked up again when leaving and then correct the displayed position.
Most vital is the info when to exit/turn for the first time.
Obviously, you haven't lived in a city with an underground and/or tunnel-bridge highway network. Great for reducing noise and traffic in the city, but can get a bit confusing when you need to take complex/multiple exits.
(I am currently living in Basel, CH - had something much simpler but still in Neuchâtel)

Luckily, in CH it's *clearly* indicated.
- satnavs that try to simulate the indication image (Tomtom) usually guess it right.
- satnavs that have a real-world picture of the actual indication use those successfully (Garmin).

Why does no nav app display the distance to a speed limit?
For "fuel conservation" it is quite nice to know there will be a speed limit around the corner and it thus makes no sense to give full throttle for an overtake you will not finish. Or going fast and not having to waste precious brakes but gently roll out to allowed limit some hundret meters earlier (e.g.).
I checked in all common android apps, no one is doing it. I would love to see info about speed limits ~1km before reaching them. Or depending on speed, some sane amount of seconds before.
I also think it's a great feature (I've seen it on the Garmin I installed in my mother's car):
"Speed limit change to {new speed} in {countdown} meters" showing up in the top warning box.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post: