Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Hi!.. my new N800 (just 2 days here) shows sometimes problems to turns on...itīs strange, maybe I am doing something wrong, but when try to turn it on nothing happens...and suddenly, after a while, it turns on ( if I insist in pressing the power button). But the strange thing is that behaviour occurs if I donīt use the N800 for, letīs say, fifteen minutes or more. If I turn it on, then off, and in a short period of time, again on, I have no problems at all. Any suggestion? Is there a blank screen period between you turn the N800 on and the NOKIA logo appears on booting process? Faulty hardware maybe? I am praying, because no local service for this device in my country (If faulty, I should ship again to USA...$$$)

I've found that I have to keep the power button pressed for a second or two.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Thanks Jeff ..
But I have found that's something wrong on me or wrong on the N800. When just turn it off, and want to turn it on again, it is fine, as you say, just one second or two maximum. But the problem is when I turn it off, wait for more than 15 minutes or more (the time you want) ant try to turn it on, I keep the power button pressed and nothing...try one, two, three times more and then it turn on. Seems like something get cold and cause the failure, or ..I donīt know...

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Yes it is strange. Seen this too. You can enable R&D mode, this allows you to hold button shorter time to power it on and may workaround this problem. Worked for me.

But anyway, why to turn it off at all? It is necessity or bad habit from stone age? It lasts days on standby and boot and shutdown takes time and eats battery a lot (worth many hours or even day of standby).

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-11-08 at 17:48.

Thanks fanoush for your answer...sorry for my ignorance but...what means R&D? Maybe could be my solution...
Also, when you use the standby you mean leave the N800 just turned on, but it is necessary to turn off the wireless connection, or just leave it as is? Thanks

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by akd View Post
Thanks fanoush for your answer...sorry for my ignorance but...what means R&D?
you need to use linux flasher for this, see
http://maemo.org/development/documen...otfs_bora.html

it is a flag mainly meant for developers, it allows gaining root privileges, provides more info at boot time, shortens time you need to press power on button and maybe also disables some sanity checks.
Originally Posted by akd View Post
Also, when you use the standby you mean leave the N800 just turned on, but it is necessary to turn off the wireless connection, or just leave it as is?
Yes the device in designed to be always on. Unless you are running some ill behaved application once display goes off it is basically sleeping and can last like 10 days in such mode with wireless off. With wi-fi on it still can last 4 days or so (depends on network traffic and router power saving support). Just try and see.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.