Ok, let me start off by saying that I'm one of those people who would rather download and install an .rpm or .deb without the use of a package manager. I would rather save it and its dependencies for use later b/c who knows if the site you got it from will still be around next time you go install it.

That said, I'm having a really hard time doing this for my n800/ 2008 OS. I'm able to dig around and find the .deb, but the dependencies I find always complain about being incompatible.

Is there any way I can save the installed packages and dependencies --- or at the very least, is there a folder where all the .debs are saved when I install them via the package manager?

Thanks in advance!

/var/cache/apt/archives

Originally Posted by cakey View Post
/var/cache/apt/archives
So, I just went to that directory, and it's empty. Does it clear out after a reboot? Should I find something there immediately after an install?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
You need to install from comand line if you want the archives.

Or find this application manager settings which I can't remember..

Ok, let me start off by saying that I'm one of those people who would rather download and install an .rpm or .deb without the use of a package manager.
Any decent package manager will keep archives..

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
Originally Posted by free View Post
Or find this application manager settings which I can't remember..
go into red pill mode. then go to the settings menu. something about saving/clearing cache.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

The application manager is configured to automatically run 'apt-get clean' when finished, so nothing is left over in /var/cache/apt/archives.

In any case: 'Manual' installation of .debs to avoid possible future unavailabilities of repos won't save you work, it'll instead just create lots of extra work in your day-to-day package managment, instead of the very rare once-off repo unavailability. Also, it doesn't matter which repo a package comes from, so if a package A depends on package B then package B can come from any old repo.

And lastly, if you simply just want to store any installed package locally then you can use apt-get install to install the packages, and avoid running apt-get clean ever. Unless configured to do otherwise, this will leave every installed package in /var/apt/cache/archives/, from where you could also copy to somewhere else for long-time storage. (Or just try to find the config the previous poster mentioned, if so you could continue to use the application manager.)

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
And lastly, if you simply just want to store any installed package locally then you can use apt-get install to install the packages, and avoid running apt-get clean ever. Unless configured to do otherwise, this will leave every installed package in /var/apt/cache/archives/, from where you could also copy to somewhere else for long-time storage. (Or just try to find the config the previous poster mentioned, if so you could continue to use the application manager.)
Yes, this is EXACTLY what I want to do. So, then from yours and everyone's feedback, I need to do all the stuff via command line.

Historically, I've ALWAYS saved my files. The more popular repositories I don't fear will go away, but the smaller, more obscure ones I do. Besides, there have been instances where I've been somewhere with slow or no internet connection AND I've had to do a clean install (not on my tablet, but my PC or cell phone) --- and I was hosed because I had no way to get what I needed until I got back home. "Never again," I said.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
apt-get -o DPkg::Dir::Cache::Archives::="/path/to/new/archives" mypackage

You can even set this permanently, probably in /etc/apt/*conf*