Notices

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Does anyone know of a way to use the N8x0 as a marine navigator? I just purchased a BT GPS module to play around with, and to give Maemo Mapper a real try, and I was impressed both by how fast it aquired a signal, as well as with the quality of MM as a map/navigaton-tool.

I do have a mounted GPS for use in my boat, but it'd be great to have my n800 as a backup-device in case something goes wrong with my primary device, or if I simply run out of juice in the boat. Us sailors rarely have enough battery-power in our boats after all

Would it be possible to use rasterized marine charts in Maemo Mapper for example? Or is there another option?

It would indeed be possible, but you'd have to find a repository of marine maps; if MM can't query it directly, but you can exactly specify the URL format for a given map, then contact Gnuite, and it'll be in the next release. He's a champion!

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stockholm, Sweden
So no chance of getting MM to display raster-charts that I already have? I don't know of any marine repositories for swedish charts...

Well... I think you can, at least with an older version of MM. Not sure on the current one. Probably use imagemagick to split into tiles, then somehow stuff it in database.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: