Active Topics

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Can you use SSH with X Forwarding to bring up a remote display on the Nokia tablet?

Originally Posted by Remote User View Post
Can you use SSH with X Forwarding to bring up a remote display on the Nokia tablet?
Since "display" has a specific meaning in X, the only way to literally do that is running an Xnest or equivalent over ssh -x, but if you merely want to run arbitrary X apps forwarded to the tablet's display, it works as expected.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Austin, TX
Excellent!! I had asked about the possibility of something like this a while back, but never got exactly what I was looking for. Now I finally have an excuse not to throw out my otherwise unused 770. Everything worked exactly as instructed, and the fact that all the software is free make it even better.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by psykosis View Post
I tried this today with the Windows 7 beta and I finally got it working via the Vista VGA cable and using TightVNC (RealVNC appeared to charge for anything but XP/2000 versions). I set up a secondary 800x600 monitor and then using TighVNC's Selective area settings, selected this screen. It's screen updating is a tad slow and has some artifacting - but it works with Wallpaper and Aero still enabled. This is great for stacking on some of the Gadgets (CPU monitor, Network monitor, IM list - via pidglet) as Win7 kills the sidebar concept for a more free floating placement. Most definitely cool stuff - thanks Thesandlord for the Vista (and Win7) work around.
How did you get it work in windows 7. I dont see add hardware in my control panel.

Thanks

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Is there a thread around on how to do something similar in Linux (Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/etc)? I'm sure I could probably figure something out but I wondered if someone's already done it and posted instructions.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Venezuela
OK, this is great, since i've some time looking for a way to use my N900 as a monitor, this could help, i had tought of VNC before but i tought it would be too slow to enjoy, so i'm wondering why is this special? i don't really understand why the zonescreen is used. if someone could explain that would be great, does it do anything about the resolution? that's my guess...... i have one problem tho, the N900 won't show the whole screen of the pc, just like 1/4, or something, and after seeing the pics you guys posted, i see it's the same for you, umm i wonder if there's any way like zooming out.... cause i feel like i'm more like sneak peeking than using it as monitor :7

Is there any way to establish the vnc connection via usb ... ?

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Chester, CA
interesting,

i wonder if you found the right settings for the tablet and server, possible w/ a sync delay using mpc, this could work w/ a media remote, headphones to your pc, to allow full res streaming for those late nights in bed when you want to watch a movie comfortably.

might give it a go with my ddwrt and a6 itx htpc, perhaps th lag could be managble with the right delay in audio/ good hardware and wifi signal.

USB would be tits though, if you could take the load off the tablet decoding video files to get full res, even if you had to pull audio off the stereo out seperately. If it works over wifi then .

the real question is if theres a way to set it up so the n810 doesnt have to decode anything, using usb of course. considering theres usb montors that do just that.

Last edited by eleseur; 2013-02-24 at 10:14.

Tags
second display, vnc