Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by dick-richardson View Post
shoes tied in order to save 1/2 hour each morning).
You untie your shoes?! 30 minutes, no, but that 30 seconds you save and not having to adjust the tightness every morning is great.

Anyway, yeah, Nokia hasn't really marketed the tablets up to this point (with good reason), but that should be changing in a big way with this next generation.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Anyway, yeah, Nokia hasn't really marketed the tablets up to this point (with good reason), but that should be changing in a big way with this next generation.
As an Amiga owner (still have my 1000 and 3000) I have a mild uncomfortable sense of deja vu. A great platform, easy to hack - but users flock to the platform with mind share. In a vicious circle, more users attract more developers, more developers mean more apps, more capabilities, more effort spent on R&D, that platform flourishes while the other languishes.

(Nokia still lacks the hordes of raving fanboy kiddies though; maybe people don't get that excited about these things anymore...)

I'm philosophical about it though - the more open, hackable platform is better at what *I* want to do with it, and it will be useful long after it will be declared obsolete. Just like my Amiga 3000 was, being my main computer for _years_ after C= went bust.

Now, has NetBSD been ported to the N800 yet?

Last edited by jthiemann; 2009-04-24 at 03:55.

c'mon seriously this is engadget we're talking about. they hype about usb humping dogs and ingore real technology all the time...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by jthiemann View Post
As an Amiga owner (still have my 1000 and 3000)
I still have my 2000HD! I got a couple of 500s when I worked for C= (The "Giant Chicken-Head," we called that logo), but I gave them away to family members...

I have a mild uncomfortable sense of deja vu. A great platform, easy to hack - but users flock to the platform with mind share. In a vicious circle, more users attract more developers, more developers mean more apps, more capabilities, more effort spent on R&D, that platform flourishes while the other languishes.
Yes. I see that snowball effect happen a lot. But apple has shown that you can win by not competing head-to-head.

(Nokia still lacks the hordes of raving fanboy kiddies though)
Well, I and my raving fanboy hordes would like to differ!

Ok, yeah, you're right, and I think it is because Nokia's this big, old company, and the Maemo devices are this weird little offshoot. All the other "raving fanboy" devices tended to be from "cooler" companies.

Nokia reminds me a lot of IBM; A lot of smart people, a lot of sharp business sense, and a strong history of technical innovation... but almost no "cool factor" at all. Nokia is like General Electric or Seimens; their devices are everywhere and you almost don't see the name anymore because of that.

Now, has NetBSD been ported to the N800 yet?
Probably not, since BSD uses a different kernel, and all the ports I've seen use the Linux kernel. But probably any must-have apps from BSD can be found in the repositories of one of the other ports I mentioned above.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Last time I tried to get a n800 in germany in a basic electronics shop. Basic== where everybody goes == saturn, mediamarkt, they had never heard of it, I had to force the person to do a search in their database. Until they found one 40km from there (another Saturn) because they ordered it by mistake. When the guy saw me asking for the n800 he laughted. I looked at the box, saw the penguin and said : fine, that's what I want. I checked a bit the broswer and some people were sneaking on my shoulder.
So I hope this is better for next devices.. a lot of people are lazy like me and don't go to ebay. Well, I will, probably for the price difference..

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
bah, seems like even the closely related press is forgetting the tablets:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3193160405.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by tso View Post
bah, seems like even the closely related press is forgetting the tablets:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3193160405.html
There's a picture of an N810 on that very page with a link below it labeled 'MIDs, UMPCs & tablets.' I think this is what my english teacher referred to as irony....

YARR!
}:^)~
McCapt'n

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
There's a picture of an N810 on that very page with a link below it labeled 'MIDs, UMPCs & tablets.' I think this is what my english teacher referred to as irony....
Heh, missed that one.

Still, the article itself is a near copy of the engadget editorial...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Don't take anything I say seriously. I'm just loving the weather today in Toronto and having a little fun!

Good gravy! When is the HSPA N900 coming out already! I would love to take this show on the road!

YARR!
}:^)~
$0.99 Capt'n