Active Topics

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
We have free public wi-fi here but I've not been able to get connected on an N8X0. The way it works on my laptop and iPhone is after selecting the connection the browser goes to the log in page. On the Nokias, after trying to select the connection it I get the "Network Connection Error...Try Again?" message.

Is there a way to defeat the connection failure with settings or a utility?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by mfortner View Post
We have free public wi-fi here but I've not been able to get connected on an N8X0. The way it works on my laptop and iPhone is after selecting the connection the browser goes to the log in page. On the Nokias, after trying to select the connection it I get the "Network Connection Error...Try Again?" message.

Is there a way to defeat the connection failure with settings or a utility?
You set up the correct settings. Usually 1) plain-text authentication and DHCP (both default settings) does the trick.

Then you browse to the 'portal' of the WiFi AP which is usually http://gateway_from_WiFi_IP or https://gateway_from_WiFi_IP you fill in our username and password and voila. To make this process user-friendly most WiFi APs redirect you to their 'portal' automatically if you haven't been authenticated.

The 3 most likely reasons it doesn't work in your case are IMO:
  • Even if you do not plan on using your browser (e.g. only want to e-mail) you _must_ first authenticate on 'portal' which you didn't do. Alternatively, use program such as Devicescape (aka Easywifi) which automates the process of logging in to 'portal'.
  • Perhaps following this redirecting is disabled in the Maemo Browser for security reasons.
  • Redirecting as described above is not occuring, and what iPhone does goes beyond the redirecting: it tries to connect to the http://gateway_from_WiFi_IP or https://gateway_from_WiFi_IP and if it is able to fires up the browser assuming (but not being sure) this is the 'portal' and authentication is required there.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-10-23 at 18:29. Reason: integrate 'PS'

Your post seems intelligent and knowledgable, but perhaps over my ignorant head? I explored devicescapes's site, but I'm not sure how this will help me on the tablets.

Your post seems intelligent and knowledgable, but perhaps over my ignorant head? I explored devicescapes's site, but I'm not sure how this will help me on the tablets.
Excuse me for the complexity.

In short:
  • Devicescape allows you to not use login page, doing the login automatigally. You have to configure Devicescape by signing up to them for an account. In this account, you tell Devicescape to recognize your AP (not all portals are same), and provide your username and password. Devicescape then runs in background as applet. If you tell it to authenticate automagically together with auto connecting to your WiFi AP (which the network manager applet does) everything goes automagically but you can decide to do either manually. To install, Maemo Packrat -> Fill in devicescape -> Download the *.install
  • However, rereading your post it seems your issue is rather that you are not even able to connect to your AP using the default settings (which uses no authentication and tries to use DHCP to get IP address). And in that case it is unlikely Devicescape solves your problem... but then I'd check my settings twice to make sure they're correct.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Despite what most user are saying, I find that wifi on the n800 is just average.You'll have to get closer to the access point.

I do not think range is the issue.

The Devicescape.install file appears to add the repository to the Application Manager, but the install cannot be found.

As far as Diablo's connection settings I'm unaware of anything that controls default connection behavior. Am I missing something?

Last edited by mfortner; 2009-10-24 at 14:23.

The Devicescape.install file appears to add the repository to the Application Manager, but the install cannot be found.
(Keeping future reference in mind) please use any of these options:

As far as Diablo's connection settings I'm unaware of anything that controls default connection behavior. Am I missing something?
IIRC you go to Connection applet and it sees your WLAN. You click on your WLAN, and it will connect automagically. That is what I meant.

If AP requires WPA(2) you set it to use for example WPA(2), and when you connect it will ask you for password which you can optionally change. When one is not connected one can fiddle with the options even after Connection is set up.

Now, what may happen is for example this:
1) Doesn't get IP from DHCPd for some reason. MAC address not recognized, for example.
2) Gets DNS from DHCP, N8x0 tries to ping it, then bails out because cannot pass gateway due to lack of 'portal' authentication.

It could be something on your 'portal' or something on the N8x0.

What exactly happens I don't know, and debugging this is a bit harder for you'll need to read your logs or enable logging, use packet sniffer, check dmesg, check ifconfig real-time.

When I used 'portal' manually on KPN Hotspots which also is public plaintext WLAN but requires login on 'portal' (over HTTPS) I did not have the problem you describe, and couldn't find it in Bugzilla either. I did need to fire up MicroB though, and use HTTPS, both not lightweight, so I opted for Devicescape.
Attached Files
File Type: deb devicescape_2.0-51.os2008_armel.deb (236.3 KB, 80 views)