Active Topics

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Barcamp Manchester 2
part 1 (Saturday)

Last week I took part in the latest Manchester Barcamp organised at the Contact Theatre (#bcman2), this update is a little lagged because on the Monday I started job @ Collabora.

Arriving in the morning there was the usual throng of people comprising regular campers and new people alike.
After speaking to some folks and grabbing a couple of essential cups of coffee it was time to head into space 1 for our initiation.

one thing, IT needs more beatboxing.
the intiiation was livened up by an impromptued rap about tech from our host involving beatboxing the internet

(including all the 404s)

then it was time to meet the people near us...
we swapped badged and learnt a bit about our neighbour before pretending to be them to the next person, was terribly confusing but fun!

the sessions during the day took place in a strange combination of spaces and dressing rooms, heres the map:
(google maps can't help here, I just took a photo so I could remember)

it was time to build the wall!

For Saturday, I chose a nice middle of the day slot to give an intro the N900, it was really cool and I was asked lots of questions and we ran through the system really well and people played for ages and the session continued afterwards as usual.

People were impressed by the device and its capabilities as well as my enthusiasm at what we can make it do now and in the future

during the day, there was a live tweet display on the wall in the main area.

I saw some cool presentations (and missed some I wanted to see too! there was so much going on)

There were 2 sessions about the arduino and there was even an interactive exhibit which blew bubbles when you sent it a tweet!
I went to a great little presentation about polygen which is an app for generating automatic texts based on a grammar, its sort of an inverted compiler which takes the rules and produces real text.
looks very useful for automatically generating real looking random code

ice cream and pizza.
we had ice cream in Manchester in November.
it was very cool (literally) and well received.

the pizza was even better, there was 10s of pizza boxes all delivered and containing hundreds of slices of heavenly pizza.

after a few more sessions the night crew started to take over and it was time for me to head back home for the evening (living nearby was great)

part 2 (Sunday) to come..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Cool! ...and congrats on Collabora man. Good Luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
heh

<qwerty12_N810> lcuk: You need a "56k/tablet warning" on that thread

automatic image size limiting in future me thinks

Tags
bcman2, n900