Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by smarsh View Post
I'm actually quite proud of the New Users though, it has my principles (of one page/2 at most) for small devices working well. Like the intra-page idea though. Could be done v easily. DaveP1 - want to do it?
Done.

Except, I can't get TOP to work (which is a function that multipage entries should have).

I'm using [[#top|top]] which displays fine and sends the URL:

http://wiki.maemo.org/New_users#top

but the browser (Firefox under Windows) is not moving to the top of the page.

Am I doing something wrong or does our version of wiki not support the [[#top]] reserved name?

Last edited by DaveP1; 2009-11-18 at 17:59. Reason: Problem with TOP

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I could probably find a few more questions for the FAQ now... I'll see what I can come up with.

Otherwise, looking good, I think.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I could probably find a few more questions for the FAQ now... I'll see what I can come up with.

Otherwise, looking good, I think.
go ahead. do it yourself or send message here and i can add them
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

I see someone's working on an app list. I wrote a python script which autogenerates an app list from maemo.org/downloads. Then I realised it's likely to be overwhelming, so I'll see if I can't fix it to autogenerate the app list broken down by category. It's here nevertheless if useful in its current state.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by JosefA View Post
I see someone's working on an app list. I wrote a python script which autogenerates an app list from maemo.org/downloads. Then I realised it's likely to be overwhelming, so I'll see if I can't fix it to autogenerate the app list broken down by category. It's here nevertheless if useful in its current state.
thanks for that. please inform if you get it done by categories. I probably have time tonight for that listing, the app list for now only includes all apps that did have wiki - entry.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
I would like to see Wikipedia like pages for all applications in wiki.maemo.org and I tried to do it few weeks ago for OMWeather. Unfortunately I didn't succeed completely. With some standardized pages user would see all basic information with a quick look of a page. So if anyone knows how to use templates in mediawiki could take a look what wiki.maemo.org is missing would be great.

Those pages could also have information how to use each application as there is no help framework in Frematle.

I was thinking something like box in wikipedia pages have for applications e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Firefox

Originally Posted by mve View Post
I would like to see Wikipedia like pages for all applications in wiki.maemo.org
Yes, that's precisely why I linkified everything in my autogenerated app list. That way even if an app's page doesn't exist it shows up in the list of missing pages and - more importantly - in the Most wanted MW page if the app is popular enough.

I really think the wiki just needs 3 things:
  1. A semblance of structure, with the frontpage/Intro merged, and the structure there reused for sub-themes, like thematic portals
  2. linkify more. Existing pages need to interlink more intensively
  3. Once the two elements above are accomplished, then the two special pages Most wanted and Orphaned pages will be the place where we can see very precisely and specifically what pages need creation or categorisation/linking.

I'll see if I have some time to make that autogenerated list by category.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I drew this up as a sort of 'tree' for the imformation flow for Maemo basics or new users. The FAQ lists are by no means exhaustive. But I felt we needed to be certain we have the framework right first.

http://www.revdkathy.co.uk/wikitree.pdf

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2009-11-19 at 21:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
I have just spent a good 20 mins browsing around and I have to say guys, Im seriously impressed with all the work that has gone on, there is a wealth of information in there.
Regarding structure

It's purely personal and what is OK for one is not for another, so I suggest leaving it until Xmas and then we can have a review. I think we need to see what sort of questions are being asked and where the wiki is not working before changing anything. Im hoping that is where us greeters can help, we should be able to edit the FAQs to reflect what the community are asking, and being on the front line should get an idea on how well the wiki works?

Just a shame that some of us still have a while before we get our phones

One thing that did occur to me - how likely is it that developers have to create a wiki entry for their apps to get past the Q&A process

Ducks down and prepares for the horde of angry Dev comments!!!

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!