Active Topics

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
can a program running on a desktop jus be shown as the icon for that program instead of its active state?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
can a program running on a desktop jus be shown as the icon for that program instead of its active state?
You've posted in General, so it's not clear: are you asking about Maemo 5? If so, when you write "program" do you mean "widget"? If so, by "icon" do you mean the one shown for the widget in the Application Manager?

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
You've posted in General, so it's not clear: are you asking about Maemo 5? If so, when you write "program" do you mean "widget"? If so, by "icon" do you mean the one shown for the widget in the Application Manager?
thanks. i meant maemo 5. say for instance if i had ovi maps and fring running on a desktop could i just show the icon instead of the active state.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
say for instance if i had ovi maps and fring running on a desktop could i just show the icon instead of the active state.

You can add a shortcut to Ovi Maps or Fring (or any other application) to a desktop, and the shortcut will stay there when the application is running. So, I think Maemo 5 may do exactly what you want, though I'm a bit confused by "running on a desktop" and "instead of the active state".

Maemo 5 offers a panoramic desktop of up to four screens, but it's not the same as virtual desktops on desktop Linux, Mac OS X, etc. While each of the four Maemo 5 desktops may be configured with its own selection of bookmarks, contacts, shortcuts, and widgets, actual applications aren't tied to specific desktops. They're all lumped together, with one available for interaction at a time, and all running applications are accessible from the dashboard regardless of which desktop is lurking beneath.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
You can add a shortcut to Ovi Maps or Fring (or any other application) to a desktop, and the shortcut will stay there when the application is running. So, I think Maemo 5 may do exactly what you want, though I'm a bit confused by "running on a desktop" and "instead of the active state".

Maemo 5 offers a panoramic desktop of up to four screens, but it's not the same as virtual desktops on desktop Linux, Mac OS X, etc. While each of the four Maemo 5 desktops may be configured with its own selection of bookmarks, contacts, shortcuts, and widgets, actual applications aren't tied to specific desktops. They're all lumped together, with one available for interaction at a time, and all running applications are accessible from the dashboard regardless of which desktop is lurking beneath.
had to do a little reading. but you helped alot. i was thinking from a s60 stand point.