Active Topics

Dear All,

Will the Maps work on n900 without a dataplan or intener connection ,just like a GPS?

If so should i load any map in to my device? How do i do that and please help.

Regards,

Ravikumar R

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Seoul, South Korea
Well, you can access various map websites through your wireless connection. I am living in Korea and can't use my n900 on their network. I purchased it more or less as a net(ish) book/PMP.

I think his question, as he said, will the maps program work without an internet connection.
I'm interested to know the answer to this too, as when I travel outside my country, it costs heaps to use 3G so I dont.
but when I do travel, thats when I need some kind of mapping/GPS system.
so... can the mapping program work without any internet connection?
Thanks in advance

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Yes, the Ovi Maps app will work without a connection. You can use the Nokia Map Loader application to pre-install maps for whatever areas you want. Getting a GPS fix without a network connection can be more problematic though (see https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5337).

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Yes, the Ovi Maps app will work without a connection. You can use the Nokia Map Loader application to pre-install maps for whatever areas you want. Getting a GPS fix without a network connection can be more problematic though (see https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5337).
Nokia Map Loader Application? Here is my use-case for N900 maps which completely, completely fails atm.

1) I am at home, and i have to go somewhere
2) I pull up N900 maps, enter my destination and get a centered display of where i want to go.
3) I get in car, mount n900 (still in wlan range), and watch as it doesn't get a fix, while the engine warms up
4) I start driving, connection gets lost (no SIM), N900 repeatedly demands connection and won't show me the map of where i have to go.

Now, while most folks with N900s will be using SIMs, such behavior from the maps application can easily hit users with thousands of euros in roaming costs, no?

While we do not have the opportunity to fix bundled Map applications ourselves, we *do* have the opportunity as a community to free ourselves from the limits of both map providers and commercial map applications. Check it out!

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=24925&page=3

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
The issue you're having is down to the GPS failing to get a location fix (see the bug I mentioned). I fail to see any connection with the Map Loader application, or map data source.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by MrWh1t3 View Post
Well, you can access various map websites through your wireless connection. I am living in Korea and can't use my n900 on their network. I purchased it more or less as a net(ish) book/PMP.
Strange, this site says korea operates on 3g 2100

which, according to the official specs, n900 supports.

Are you using SK Telecom?

Anyways, wasn't trying to pick apart your post. Its just that I got back from Korea last December and plan to visit again, so this caught my eye.