Active Topics

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
I have just been playing around with the Maemo 5 SDK specifically to check if I can get to my work email as I am seriously considering getting an N900.

I cannot get it to work as I need a combination of IMAP over SSL without secure authentication.

That does not seem possible with the current Modest client.

Once I select SSL (IMAP4S) the option to switch on/off authentication becomes inactive (It seems to be set to ON by default)

Has this always been the case with Modest in previous versions or is this a 'feature' in Maemo 5.

I was wondering if getting this enabled as an option is a bug report / enhancement request??

Alternatively are there other clients I should be looking at....

Thanks
Roy

The config for my IMAPS server is set to use Login, but the option is there to set it to None or CRAM-MD5.

Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
The config for my IMAPS server is set to use Login, but the option is there to set it to None or CRAM-MD5.
Thanks for the suggestion - This is not an option for me as this is a corporate email server and I don't get to change the security settings on those servers

I need a client which can be configured appropriately....

I need to the option to switch off secure authentication for IMAP4 when SSL is selected, just like thunderbird (which can connect to the account) or Modest automagically tests which auth mode to use (a bit like the s60 email client)

This is a real showstopper for me as I need to access my work email account.

Whats really irritating is that SMTP does provide the options to switch authentication used when using SSL - so I can actually successfully send email.

My other option is zimbra but that's not working in the browser for me using the SDK

So the question I have on this is whether its intended behaviour or whether this is a bug??

I don't think its a rare use case, so surprised its not user configurable.

Last edited by royster70; 2009-12-20 at 20:26.

So, setting it to None doesn't turn it off? I have no way of checking, but I can't think what else it does ...
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Thanks for getting back so quick.

Modest seems to automatically switch authentication on when IMAPS is selected (tick is visible) but not user configurable.

having said that - the corporate email server is down for the moment, so a I can not try playing around with different IMAP4 settings for now.

Ah, I see. I'm being stupid, scrolling too far and seeing the option for the outbound SMTP server. Sorry for adding to the confusion.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by royster70 View Post
Thanks for getting back so quick.

Modest seems to automatically switch authentication on when IMAPS is selected (tick is visible) but not user configurable.

having said that - the corporate email server is down for the moment, so a I can not try playing around with different IMAP4 settings for now.
Corporate email servers now back up, but no joy with Modest (the hardwired auth option is definitely a bug IMHO)

Got Zimbra working for my work email on SDK browser but I think I will need to hold off on getting an N900 until Modest gets an update to fix the IMAP SSL auth options.