Active Topics

Notices

When I visit the mobile version of this Chinese newspaper (URL tester page below), I find that I always see checker board after scrolling down about 2 pages. Obviously, the browser is working hard to render the web page all these true-type chinese fonts. Initially I thought it's fine for very lengthy page.

But considering the page is very light-weight and optimized for mobile, I begin to wonder whether it's a browser performance issue that I should 1) report in this maemo forum and let people aware or 2) accept this is a cpu-intensive operation and keep my fingers cross when viewing these sites. Anyone?

I did a small experiment and send exactly the same web page content to my gmail account for reading in Modest email client. I scroll all the way down and all contents are displayed properly without any delay. This makes me to think it's more a browser issue.

http://www.hkej.com/template/mobile/...posts_id=43141

It may be a combination of the difficulty in displaying chinese fonts and the low processing power of the device (remember this is nothing like even the lamest desktop in terms of performance)

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
Originally Posted by mkleung View Post
When I visit the mobile version of this Chinese newspaper (URL tester page below), I find that I always see checker board after scrolling down about 2 pages. Obviously, the browser is working hard to render the web page all these true-type chinese fonts. Initially I thought it's fine for very lengthy page.

But considering the page is very light-weight and optimized for mobile, I begin to wonder whether it's a browser performance issue that I should 1) report in this maemo forum and let people aware or 2) accept this is a cpu-intensive operation and keep my fingers cross when viewing these sites. Anyone?

I did a small experiment and send exactly the same web page content to my gmail account for reading in Modest email client. I scroll all the way down and all contents are displayed properly without any delay. This makes me to think it's more a browser issue.

http://www.hkej.com/template/mobile/...posts_id=43141
Hey, this is definitely off-topic but have you found (if you even looked for) a way to get an offline english=>pinyin dictionary on to the N900. 我是外国人,现在住在温州。

sorry, I don't have a solution.

Regarding the checkerboard problem, it's now gone with PR1.1 update! I am very satisfied.

Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
Hey, this is definitely off-topic but have you found (if you even looked for) a way to get an offline english=>pinyin dictionary on to the N900. 我是外国人,现在住在温州。