Active Topics

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Dell says that it will be supporting its Internet tablet for the duration of its lifecycle and will make sure users can update to new capabilities and software. Now of course this is good and important to knowledgable consumers.

I think what struck me the most is that this is one of the major points that Dell thought it should get out there in a short product interview. This is only two days after MeeGo is announced as successor/replacement/evolution (pick whatever word suits your perspective) of Maemo.

http://carrypad.com/2010/02/17/dell-...e-of-a-family/

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Great props to Dell! I may not like their products, but I do like the fact that they'll so openly support their legacy products, whereas Nokia doesn't seem to want to support you at all once their next shiny new toy appears. Of course, I've seen that with a lot of cell phone companies. It's like corporate ADD.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Great props to Dell! I may not like their products, but I do like the fact that they'll so openly support their legacy products, whereas Nokia doesn't seem to want to support you at all once their next shiny new toy appears. Of course, I've seen that with a lot of cell phone companies. It's like corporate ADD.
yes, and I'm not so much putting faith in what Dell said, as noting that they apparently think will have an advantage by making it a selling point.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I just dont like the MeeGo name....makes me think of Yugos from the 80's and we all know what wonderful products they were. lol

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The less people treat MIDs like disposable products, the more they'll see that people want to be supported more than just a few months. Market it as a "computer" or "computer-like" experience and you darn tootin' I want upgrades.

Who wouldn't? And yeah, if they're capitalizing on Nokia's lack of updates, blame Nokia. They're the ones that's left that door open for other competitors to exploit.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: