Active Topics

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
I want to update my N900 to the newest version, and I couldn't do a OTA update - it said I had to connect my phone to the computer. Said and done, I download Nokia PC Suite, the updater etc. I do a backup of my contacts, calendar and notes and did a backup on the phone too(of the settings, applications etc.).

Now, my question is, I have music and pictures and stuff in my /home/user I think(it's that directory that shows up in the provided file manager, right?). Obviously I don't want them removed. So my question is, will they still be there after an update? Or is everything removed during an update?

EDIT: Perhaps worth mentioning is that I'm running the official Nokia Updater. Not the Flasher program. Nor anything else.

Last edited by ToJa92; 2010-02-19 at 20:32.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ San Diego, CA
It usually doesn't delete anything but it might be safe just to make backups of everything and copy them on to another computer.

Do you know a quick way to do that? Running Windows 7 Ultimate. Unfortunately you couldn't copy the N900 icon and paste it(it does work sometimes, at least on things in usb mass storage mode).

EDIT: Nevermind. The backup application seems to be able to copy everything over.

just did my update recently, nothing was gone except for my theme, messages and applications.
all your songs, videos, contacts, calendar will still b there

Yeah, I noticed that. Just restored my computer backup, and the backup from the memory card, reinstalled all apps and now I'm pretty much on track again