Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
I've written here a tutorial on how to send a single message to update all your social & microblogging statuses with your N900 "right out of the box."

I'm writing this with the assumption you have a skype account set up on the phone(You don't have to use Skype, I just prefer it, and happen to use it for this example. MSN, AIM, and Gtalk are also supported protocols) and have a current Ping.fm account. If you don't have a Ping.fm account sign up here.

After creating your Ping.fm account and setting up your services such as Facebook, and Twitter, go to your 'Dashboard' and click the 'Skype' link under 'Services/Tools'

That'll take you to a page asking you to add a user by the name of pingdotfm do this and the bot account will add you, then IM it with the verification code you're presented with on the page.

Now just send it an IM and it'll post to your accounts, or use the tags to tell it which one to post to. (@fb for facebook, @tt for twitter, ect)

Now just wait for Ping.fm to show up on your N900 contacts list (if you're really impatient, reboot the phone) and just send an IM to update your status. Simple

To make it easier for me, I made a desktop contact icon for Ping.fm

Since Ping.fm doesn't natively support Google's Buzz just yet, we kinda have to improvise this part. Thankfully detailed instructions already exist right here.

Enjoy, and *Thank* if you thought this info was useful!

Last edited by Apoc; 2010-02-25 at 20:08.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Apoc For This Useful Post:
use the browser?

I think you missed the point leviathan. This is virtually using an App to do it and engages the UI in a useful way.

Very nice tutorial Apoc!

The Following User Says Thank You to horus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by leviathan18 View Post
use the browser?
Using Ping.fm allows you to go to one place to update the status of all your social websites. If you used the browser you'd have to browse to each website. Although, you could probably just use the browser and go to m.ping.fm and update your status that way.

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
Could it be possible to have a widget (with a textbox) that would do this for us? You know like that search widget where you select the search engine and it opens up a webrowser with the query?

In this case, you would click a button and select a social network platform from a list of a few of the most popular, type your status (maybe have a live count preview for twitter's 140 character limit) and then click on a "update" button.

Anyone interested?
(if not i might take on this project as a challenge!)

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

The Following User Says Thank You to El Amir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by El Amir View Post
Could it be possible to have a widget (with a textbox) that would do this for us? You know like that search widget where you select the search engine and it opens up a webrowser with the query?

In this case, you would click a button and select a social network platform from a list of a few of the most popular, type your status (maybe have a live count preview for twitter's 140 character limit) and then click on a "update" button.

Anyone interested?
interested

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by El Amir View Post

Anyone interested?
This tutorial is actually in place of the (currently in progress) status bar applet mStatus. mStatus will let you update from a very simple button in your status bar area, however at this time it is worse then non function, and uninstalling it has caused serious issues for people who did decide to install it. It is currently in the Extras-Testing repository and you can check here for progress.