Posts: 286 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ down south
i have collection of over 4000 mp3s on my n900. a lot have track numbers in front. is there any to remove all numbers from the filename.without editing all 4000+mp3,s individually? like some sort of script to run on a particular directory to remove any numbers in filename? or even run on xp and then i can transfer over?

cheers

You could write a script for the n900 itself, or try something like this if you're using Windows.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Try something like this:

Code:
yes n | for file in [0-9]*; do mv -i "$file" "`echo "$file" | sed 's/^[0-9]*//'`" ; done
(it's trying to be safe, but always make a backup first anyway).

Last edited by lma; 2010-02-27 at 09:31. Reason: added quotes for whitespace safety

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
thanks thats great..but how do i run that script? also how do i make sure it only targets the files within my .sound directory? sorry for all these questions.

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
open xterm, cd into your .sound directory and type this in one line. then hit enter and see the magic happen. :P

The Following User Says Thank You to b666m For This Useful Post:
tried on one directory and it deleted everything ?? all my 1985 number 1 hits lol

actually not deleted but hidden the files due to "." being placed in front of filename? any suggestions to try and resolve? thanks

Ah, so you want to remove both numbers and dots from the beginning of filenames ;-)

Try

Code:
yes n | for file in .[^.]*; do mv -i "$file" "`echo "$file" | sed 's/^\.//'`" ; done
on the already renamed files, or

Code:
yes n | for file in [0-9]*; do mv -i "$file" "`echo "$file" | sed 's/^[0-9]*\.//'`" ; done
if you have already restored your backup.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
If your fıles are properly ID3 tagged you can use MP3Tag to gıve them all a new fılename.
You can also try Bulk Renamer Utılıty for Wındows.