Active Topics

Notices

Hi guys, iv got a prob with the desktop command execution widget on my n900, it was working fine up until today, i added some commands and now when i put mote than 1 command on the desktop it freezes and hildon desktop shows an error and asks to restart the desktop, the first cmd widget i have is the date, this works fine, if i add a second cmd widget the widget shows error and freezes.

I have romoved all cmd commands from the desktop command widget but i get the same problem when adding more than 1 even tho there are no cmd set in the app, iv also tried uninstalling via app man, apt-get and dpkg then reinstalling but still getting the same problem, iv rebooted also.

The last command i entered was a cmd to show free ram, it worked fine till i tried to change it abit lol, any help on this please guys? Thanx

Do you remember what that last command was, exactly ?

This was my last cmd that worked .. head -n 2 /proc/meminfo | tail -n 1 it was to show free ram, but i messed with it and changed it to .. head -n 2 | /proc/meminfo | tail -n 1 (note the extra | in there) and since then it has the problem above, been trying all day to sort it out lol, thanx for any help.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by biggzy View Post
This was my last cmd that worked .. head -n 2 /proc/meminfo | tail -n 1 it was to show free ram, but i messed with it and changed it to .. head -n 2 | /proc/meminfo | tail -n 1 (note the extra | in there) and since then it has the problem above, been trying all day to sort it out lol, thanx for any help.
Have you rebooted since then? It may be that the query is still running (from the looks of it, it would never complete), and preventing other scripts from updating. Either checking for and killing the process(es) or rebooting should fix that.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Have you rebooted since then? It may be that the query is still running (from the looks of it, it would never complete), and preventing other scripts from updating. Either checking for and killing the process(es) or rebooting should fix that.
Hi, yes iv rebooted loads of times, just dont seem to sort it.

Heres a screenshot of when i add the second cmd widget and hildon-home requests to be restarted..

In the middle of the screenshot is the second cmd widget it just shows error, it dont allow me to press the spanner icon to change the settings, but if i only add 1 cmd widget then it works and so do the settings for it.

Last edited by biggzy; 2010-03-09 at 20:19.

Finally sorted the problem after 6 hours lol, it was a hidden file in home/usr called .desktop_cmd_exec that i didnt see when i unpacked the cmd deb file to inspect, and the .desktop_cmd_exec file in home/usr was still there after i removed the desktop command widget, thanx all for helping and giving advice

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by biggzy View Post
Finally sorted the problem after 6 hours lol, it was a hidden file in home/usr called .desktop_cmd_exec that i didnt see when i unpacked the cmd deb file to inspect, and the .desktop_cmd_exec file in home/usr was still there after i removed the desktop command widget, thanx all for helping and giving advice
Just beat me to it - I managed to reproduce the issue and had tracked it down to that file as well. It's created when you add the first widget (so won't be in the .deb file), and just deleting it will fix the issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post: