Active Topics

Notices

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Hello,

I am testing my newly arrived device with some videos. I have mplayer (from shell) and necessary codecs are installed.

1-) Using The Sorcerer’s Apprentice (Trailer 2)
  • 480p plays nicely. (The video is 852x460 --not 480p really and encoded with H.264/AVC, audio is MPEG-4 AAC)
  • 720p fails, giving: Source image dimensions are too high: 1280x720 (maximum is 864x648) Failure is Understandable

2-) Using files from PyCon 2010:Keynote: State of Jython (scroll-down on the right)
  • With Ogg Theora/Vorbis (.ogv) file only audio plays no video --it works nicely on my Fedora 12 laptop.
  • Flash Video (.flv) : audio ok, bad video --again works fine on F12
  • MPEG-4 Video (.m4v) : Wonderful, both audio and video works great. (Video H.264 AVC, Audio MPEG-4 AAC)

3-) Encoding test with mencoder
  • I use the m4v file from the above example and encoded it with:
    Code:
    mencoder file.m4v -o newfile.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc x264
    I get about 1:2 compression and the video nicely works on N900.
  • When I convert another avi file (xvid mpeg-4, mpeg-1 mp3 ~64 MB) using the same encoding as above I get incredible 1:10, it seems like playing but not always --sometimes I have to push forward/ hit play/pause one more time or see choppiness during the playback. More notes on this: I managed to compress the file with a decent bitrate (bitrate=2000 pass=1) I can't seek file, and it doesn't play the whole file. Audio and video mismatch, it finishes the video early etc. It must be dangerous to play highly-compressed files on N900.

Any ideas/comments about these observations? How could I get a less lossy compression out of my last file to play it smoothly?

Last edited by gsever; 2010-04-05 at 04:56.