Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
i have made an app for my own device with a desktop shortcut. this app does all the above commands. restarting your device doesn't really help
That would be great except ... A desktop shortcut can't be accessed Can it be an app/icon accessed via the "programs menu" (what's the official name for the page of application icons which you get clicking at the top left with no tasks running?)

Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
... I have (since 1.1.1, with a few new -devel installs) started getting temporary desktop lockups very similar to those described by the OP. In my case, I can still move between my 4 desktops & I can still use contact shortcuts, but shortcuts to web pages and app's stop responding
I can also switch between desktops, not sure about contact shortcuts (although I don't think they work). I have never been patient enough to wait and see if it resolves as it seems to happen when I am about to call someone

The Following User Says Thank You to benh_n900 For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
sudo gainroot
killall hildon-desktop
killall hildon-home
killall hildon-status-menu
you may try to stop and restart instead of "kill'em all an let god sort them out"
example:

$ dsmetool -k /usr/bin/hildon-home

dsmetool "-k" tells the DSME SW-watchdog to stop the process AND its automatic restarting

$ dsmetool -t /usr/bin/hildon-home

dsmetool "-t" option tells DSME SW-watchdog to restart process when it crashes and if that doesn't help, reboot

See "dsmetool" for explanation on its options.

This is quoted from here https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8723#c38

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
I have the same issue.
Its is getting very comon to freeze the desktop.

And i think that the problem is started by Desktop Command Widget

Desktop freezes if you add a unknown command with DCW.

The command

killall hildon-desktop
will kill the desktop and must restart anyway.

dsmetool -k /usr/bin/hildon-home
will freeze the screen and must restart anyway.

I will do more tests.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaderivan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
i know its an old thread, but i think this is kinda connected.

i found that if you set the telephone-app to launch in portrait-mode, it WILL lock up the desktop. ALWAYS. at least thats fact for me, the last 4 times i tried it froze.
it doesnt happen if you set it to landscape or automatic.

also, killall hildon-desktop doesnt help too, because you have to restart the divice anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by msa View Post
i know its an old thread, but i think this is kinda connected.

i found that if you set the telephone-app to launch in portrait-mode, it WILL lock up the desktop. ALWAYS. at least thats fact for me, the last 4 times i tried it froze.
it doesnt happen if you set it to landscape or automatic.

also, killall hildon-desktop doesnt help too, because you have to restart the divice anyway.
It definitely seems to be something to do with rotation and PR1.3 didn't fix it

I have also realised now that as well as the behaviour I described in my OP, it blocks notifications, meaning that if it has frozen it won't show me any text messages (and probably IMs) until I restart.

I wonder if there has been any progress on this? It was an annoyance before, but now that I realise it is blocking SMS it's more important to me to resolve it!

http://jqueryinreallife.blogspot.com - Comedy jQuery blog

The Following User Says Thank You to benh_n900 For This Useful Post: