Active Topics

Notices

Hello people,

I was wondering if I can get some assistance here. I am new to N900 and Maemo. I got my device last week and it's excellent.

I installed Rdesktop and it works flawlessly over LAN. I just can’t seem to get it working over the internet. Before you ask, following has been tested and tried:

- Port 3389 forwarded on router to the machine I want to remote into. Both TCP/UDP checked. (I know the ways to forward ports as it successfully works for my utorrent app etc)

- Firewall exceptions in place. In fact firewall disabled.
- Remote Settings enabled to access machines both on Windows 7 and XP. On Windows 7 enabled for both Public and Home network.
- ISP is not blocking port 3389
- Port is open (checked via http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/)

For the love of god I just can’t seem to figure out where it’s failing. I am sure it should work over the internet as well.

Any ideas/hints? Is there a way to run Rdesktop via x-term and enable some logging to see if it's timing out or access denied or incorrect user/pass though it should be fine.

Much appreciated.

/xuggs

Last edited by xuggs; 2010-04-11 at 09:41.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
i would strongly advice not to do this without using some vpn technology.
openvpn should work on windows as a server, and it works well on the n900 as a client (i assume possibly as a server also).
exposing rdesktop port to the internet directly is not a good idea.
setup openvpn forward those ports, then you should have no troubles and less troubles from a security aspect.

i second what deadmalc said. even if you cant set up a vpn, move your fowarding from the default 3389 port to something else to do some obfuscation.

about your original question: try to connect with a windows machine. it could be the phone.