Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
Hi Everybody.

I've read about extras-testing and extras-devel, and I try not to install much stuff from extras-devel.

However, how safe do you consider using extras-devel to update programs installed from extras-testing?

If a program got into testing, does not it means that new versions of that program in extras-devel are just bug fixes?

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cali
I stay away from extras-devel completely. I recommend not installing from devel. Not even updating from devel, because it is still an update that has yet to be promoted to testing. Maybe those "bug fixes" you mentioned has some accidental fatal flaw.

I do this and nothing has gone awry for me. But that's just personal experience, so Idk what the reality is.

Last edited by thefoxtrot; 2010-05-01 at 05:49.

I keep all of them, including dev attached all the time and the only problem I've ever encountered is, its not a good idea to let the sixadd ps3 controller kernel update over the top of an overclocked kernel. Which if you think about it is a little risky to even consider.

I did, and things started rebooting when they felt like it....lol, but was stable enoungh to reflash the oc'd kernel from the device, which fixed it a treat.

I haven't foumd anything else that does anything worse than not work

However, that's not a recommendation, if you don't feel happy reflashing your device from a pc, usb cable and flasher.exe then don't step outside your own comfort zone.

I'm brave or stupid and good at getting out of holes

it all depends on the app, if u can find info about the app ob the forums then feel happy install it, fmms is in devel but no problems. i have 5 or more apps from devel n i update then. but i check for developers comments on thread .