Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Oh... I've been waiting to use this...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I usually just ignore threads about the Desire and similar devices, but this one lured me in. And the title is a trick - 'what was/is/will be your next device' is not appropriate for another N900 bashing.

I'm glad you people like the Desire. It is a great, great device. I really mean it. Now go to Android forums and say how much you disliked the N900 and how HTC came to your rescue. Please. Stop. Boring. Everyone. Here.

And don't cover your N900 bashing threads with thread titles like these. I mean, what's next. A topic entitled "What apps do you use on your N900" which continues into "....None! Because it sucks! I got me a Desire! It rocks!"

Lame. Really lame.

Now, to answer the question in the title (pretending it was an honest question instead of an excuse to bash the N900):

My next device will be, if all goes well, the harmattan device, the N9, or whatever it will be called.

I am not a programmer, I do not use the terminal, and I still think Maemo/MeeGo will be my OS of choice. True multitasking, easy task switching, Qt possibilities, Nokia learning its lessons with the N900, Carl Zeiss, large storage - all the reasons I will go for the N9. It will have a great new UX with a capacitive screen.

And really, what's with all these hate threads? I mean, we read it all before. Numerous times. Now, I'm not into conspiracies, but, this seems less spontaneous each day. Symbian lobby trying to sabotage the Maemo/MeeGo camp?

Last edited by ivanzorkic; 2010-05-17 at 01:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivanzorkic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
<snip>

Enable yourself, and see post #30, just a few scrolls above, if you are really confused by a lack of full post quotation and strongly desire to see what post this is in reference to.
Erm, please let's avoid ad hominem type of arguments, shall we?

Look, YoDude, the bottom line is I wasn't talking to you at all. You are the one who addressed me directly and opened the dalogue with me. I think I can be excused for mistaking a line like this
If you are using the term [agitprop] in the classic way then I presume you are referring to my previous post as being along the "Nokia Party Line".
plus all the other aggresive defense that went along with that selfsame post (which I will undoubtedly be attacked for by not quoting here) , as someone defending their original argument/post. Woe betide me to realize that I was responding merely to some paranoid, Tourettes-style post-associator.

I've made myself clear, my post was four posts away from yours, and the 20th post in the entire thread - why on earth would you make the connection that I was speaking to you directly? Why, for that matter, you instead of any of the other previous 19 posts? Let alone the original post?!

No, I'm sorry, it was my mistake to connect a direct address to me and my words to what might have been (ought to have been?) the Original Poster, seeking to defend his post. Again, my apologies. I hereby recuse myself from this discussion, prior statements notwithstanding.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
Erm, please let's avoid ad hominem type of arguments, shall we?

Look, YoDude, the bottom line is I wasn't talking to you at all. You are the one who addressed me directly and opened the dalogue with me. I think I can be excused for mistaking a line like this

plus all the other aggresive defense that went along with that selfsame post (which I will undoubtedly be attacked for by not quoting here) , as someone defending their original argument/post. Woe betide me to realize that I was responding merely to some paranoid, Tourettes-style post-associator.

I've made myself clear, my post was four posts away from yours, and the 20th post in the entire thread - why on earth would you make the connection that I was speaking to you directly? Why, for that matter, you instead of any of the other previous 19 posts? Let alone the original post?!

No, I'm sorry, it was my mistake to connect a direct address to me and my words to what might have been (ought to have been?) the Original Poster, seeking to defend his post. Again, my apologies. I hereby recuse myself from this discussion, prior statements notwithstanding.
Aggression??? WTF is your problem? .

You made a mistake either admit it, apologize to me, and move on or if you feel it is beneath you to do so then just STFU, will ya.

Did you bother to even read my post? I said IF and asked you directly. Your answer should have been no at that point.

Since you have a thing about numbers why don't we go to my first post in this thread and re-read my opening statement together shall we:

I don't know how you're using отдел агитации и пропаганды (agitprop) or to whom you're applying it to.

The posts between yours and my last one are not clear on this as well. Hitting the "Quote & Reply" button before a post helps sometimes. ...(more later)...
This ain't twitter dude. It is a freakin' forum and the methods used here to stimulate critical thinking and to illuminate ideas have been used since Socrates was a freakin' lieutenant.

I asked a question and your answer was...

Agitprop ultimately means agitation propoganda, and I'm applying it to you!

...<snip> a long winded and patronozing explanation of what the word means, but as it turns out, you confused me with someone else ...</snip>

Happy propagandizing, friend!
8^)
The freakin' dialog I provided was an effort to go the extra mile and provide a solution for you [B]IF your aggressive response[/B] was a result of frustration with the device after you replied that I was the one you were in fact talking about. This was done to invite you to reformulate a new question in light of the progress of the discourse.

I asked:
Could you please link to or at least quote my post where you believe I am doing whatever it is you think I'm doing and please post why you think so.
Instead of re-reading and reformulating you created quoted posts out of whole cloth or suttin' , You tagged my request with someone else's name and then apparently quoted him to justify your aggression toward me.

(I'm not even sure if that quote is his now because of your manipulations)

Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
Could you please link to or at least quote my post where you believe I am doing whatever it is you think I'm doing and please post why you think so.
Sure. (Sorry about being so abstruse, BTW. Bad habit. I'll try to be more plain hereafter.)

Here you are, the content of your original post that I am addressing, albeit editied for purposes of length and removal of needless redundant message.

Originally Posted by Uwe
All, my new device is an HTC Desire running on Android 2.1 / HTC Sense and I won't switch back to the N900.
<snip>
Where are you going to?

In order for me to simplify things for you, maybe you will allow me to quote another user who I think hits the nail right on the head in his/her analysis. That user writes:

And in lieu of further exhaustive explanations on my part, please allow me to direct you to some more links for everyone's edification regarding that user's point.

Loaded question, Loaded language

Both of these concepts, I might add, are forms of overtly persuasive language, and when used for a particular purpose, can be considered as propoganda.

So, whether you are truly as disingenuous as you are presenting yourself to be, or not, you should still understand that a) coming onto a message board that exists for the purpose of providing a forum for a particular product, and to then b) proceed to discredit that product, and to then c) espouse a competitor's product, and to d) subsequently implore that the users of said forum should seriously consider abandoning their particular product, in favor of the product you are espousing: all of this amounts to shilling (yes, good word! but not for Nokia, you big silly! rather for the competitor's product, isn't it obvious?).

To summarize today's lesson: you are quite possibly shilling for a competitor using a technique known as stealth marketing by introducing agitprop to demoralize and confuse forum users, using a method known as loaded language.

Class dismissed!
Now I could have responded to your condescending "lesson" as being extremely passive aggressive toward me since it was my question that you incorrectly tagged and quoted but I like others:

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
oldpmaguy:
While I got a chuckle out of your post, something is wrong. On my screen:

But yet, in your post:

So, your entire response seems to be directed to the wrong person.

Uwe is doing the propaganda, yes. YoDude - OTOH (who asked that question, and who I think you wrongfully directed the "you") - has not that I've seen. I think you're confusing names .
... thought you simply confused the names. I have done that before and apologized to both parties and moved on. If you had just moved on I would not have continued this off topic discussion. However, in your next post you apologize to the person who pointed it out to you but not to either one of the parties you either misquoted or replied to out of context.

... and still, I would have just moved on.

But you added this:

<snip> appology to fatalsaint </snip>

So the only question left to ask is, Why was YoDude so adamantly defensive regarding my "agitprop" remark?
His was response #15, and mine was response #19. I would have assumed that by not quoting the OP, it was understood that I was replying to the thread's main intent, and not responding to anyone's response in particular.

It is indeed odd that YoDude chose my comment to focus on as a potential reply to his own response - I can se no clear reason for that.
Oh well, I admit being confused, but only by someone who is themself confused. I promise I will try and do better next time. And thank you, fatalsaint, for calling my attention to my error...
...and invited me back into this nightmare.

The answer to your question is simple my misguided friend...

I wasn't "defensive" or "adament". I asked for clarity. I stated I was confused in my first post because you and others were not quoting what your drive by, one line posts were refering to. Again, this ain't twitter bubba. A forum thread is like an application sub routine where many contribute lines of code. These BS, one line responses are what has to be weeded out in order to close loops and whatnot if anyone is to make sence of it later.

These loops can easily be closed and nested by each contributor if they simply used the quote & reply function, That's why it's there!

Lets finish reading my first post in this thread together again, Shall we?

....However, those who can't or wont learn make a lot of noise before they either pass out or move on. To tolerate this noise you have to filter out or squawk the BS.

In doing so you may also get an indication as to why some have a problem with the device.

The forum system works if you pay attention. For instance:

Code:

REPLY: "Make sure the wind is at your back"
My thoughts on the above^ exchange are first:
WTF?

And then:
This is a very good illustration of how some people have trouble understanding even simple things that can be explained precisely with only one dang sentence.

Thats all I have.

You ask us to agree that your mind is "Remarkable" for being so confused that you ignored the facts and later find me "odd" for stating them.

If the Jesuit dungeon masters and their large penguin jailers who drilled Latin into my pubescent brain were successful your Ad hominem statement indicates that you feel that I am attacking you!

I stated that you were perhaps confused and misguided. You on the other hand used big words to incorrectly call me an agitator, provocateur; then defensive, aggressive, and odd. And no matter who you were "talking" to, your tone was very patronizing and condescending.

I learned a lot about you fella and have adjusted the squelch accordingly. I just don't know if you are a Jedi Master of passive aggressiveness or perhaps you just sling this crap because you like thinking it makes sense. It doesn't really matter at this point. I don't care.

Please use the forum tools provided and we can all avoid this crap.

I hope that Popcorn didn't get cold gerbick.

EDIT: Actually it was my second post in this thread I was referring to above and not my first. I apologize for any further confusion this may have caused anyone who might care at this point.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-05-18 at 12:01.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
There is no device now available for me better than my N900.

Don't want to spend 500 euros and get something worse I already have....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
There is no device now available for me better than my N900.

Don't want to spend 500 euros and get something worse I already have....

Mine for sure is gonna be N901.. or what ever the next will be.
I love this piece of crap, even whitout PR1.2 it works great for me.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
Mine will be the Flat Earth 5483G

Courtesy of Sniff Petrol

The small print is a killer

Last edited by Duffer; 2010-05-18 at 11:20.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sha Tin, Hong Kong
Originally Posted by slartibartfass View Post
Maybe a Nokia MeeGo device, and only of my n900 is broken
same here. same way i'll replace my CRT TV when it *breaks*...

The Following User Says Thank You to andyr0ck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ England and USA
Originally Posted by Dollyknot View Post
But for me the fact that the n900 is not yet all that it promises makes it more exciting, bit like growing up really.
That would be true had its parents not abandoned it.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
What was/is/will be your next device? Any why?
Presumably the newest MeeGo Device in 2012.
Because my N900 will be so worn out by then.

EDIT:
I just noticed that I can add tags to this thread!
I don't know why can't I add "worst thread ever"...

Tags
whining, worst thread