Poll: What do you think of having one thread regarding available apps?
Poll Options
What do you think of having one thread regarding available apps?

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Hey kids,

As the subject line says, I'm having fun with the 800 I got a few days ago...but one thing that's frustrating as &$#& for this Nokia Newb is finding the apps I want to install.

It seems like there's feeds all over the place; Maemo, Garage, and others...

For example, where can I find (if they exist...):

-gnumeric
-abiword
-planner
-notecase
-gcc

These are just a few that come to mind that I'd like to have...

If anyone can point me to these that would be most appreciated!

In the meantime, I have a suggestion for this illustrious group that I think would benefit everyone here....

How about having a thread where each post lists one specific package and it's related info?

This is done over at the OESF.org forums for Zaurus apps and I've found it very helpful. Creates a 'one-stop shopping' approach; ie, one place that I can go to find out about apps and where to get them...

Here's one example of a specific post from that Zaurus forum (so this is not for Nokia's!...)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
GNUDoku 0.93

description
http://icculus.org/~jcspray/GNUDoku/
GNUDoku is a free program for creating and solving Su Doku puzzles. You can use GNUDoku to challenge yourself, to compute solutions, or to verify your own solutions.

download
http://mail.pdaxrom.org/contrib/dese...3_armv5tel.ipk

dependencies
glibmm2_2.8.4_armv5tel.ipk
gtkmm2_2.6.5_armv5tel.ipk
libsigc++2_2.0.17_armv5tel.ipk

all of which can be downloaded from:
http://mail.pdaxrom.org/contrib/armagon

notes
The reason for compiling this is that the version of Sudoku here does not display well in landscape mode (it uses a non-resizeable portrait window), whereas GNUDoku has a resizeable window with the contents autoscaling.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, this would be format for posts. Of course, it could be modified if everythinks it needs it for Nokia apps....

What do you guys think?

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I don't know, man... This seems much more suited for a wiki page (maybe at Maemo?). Forums are hard to navigate and, unfortunately, people don't use the search function often enough.

Rather than a single "thread," there is already an "Apps" forum here... Isn't that supposed to be used for something like this? (E.g., one app per post, not many in one thread.)

Just my two cents.

Tim

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
I don't know, man... This seems much more suited for a wiki page (maybe at Maemo?). Forums are hard to navigate and, unfortunately, people don't use the search function often enough.

Rather than a single "thread," there is already an "Apps" forum here... Isn't that supposed to be used for something like this? (E.g., one app per post, not many in one thread.)

Just my two cents.

Tim
Thanks for your input, Tim!

I just found over at OESF Forums that it was really convenient to know that there was one thread where you knew that you could find and/or see if an app is available.

To be clear, this thread would only be for listing an app, NOT for discussing it. That would take place in a separate thread.

Just looking for a 'one-stop shopping' approach...

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Should be a sticky IMO.