Active Topics

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
So many wonderful experiences already shared.

Here goes mine,
I never ever had a smart-phone/device before. N800 was my first.
1. Setting up all my IM services on the N800 sounded so cool.
2. The idea of browsing the [REAL] web on a screen in my palm sounded too cool.
3. Also the idea that it was Linux and I would be able to do anything I wanted with it was so promising.
4. Also, the possibility of reading PDF's.
These seemed enough to justify my purchase into a new world altogether.

I used to read Thoughtfix's blog. It really made an impression of NIT's on me.

When the N900 was announced, I immediately pre-ordered one. I think N900 was the first ever device that I ever pre-ordered in my life so far. When I held the N900 first time in my hand, it felt really awesome (wished the screen size was a bit larger though). My laptop usage has become very limited now.

This experience will not be complete if I don't say what I feel about this community. In one word, AMAZING. In two words, AMAZING AMAZING.

This is the ONLY community I have ever been part of and I STRONGLY feel I am so attached to it now. There are lot of people in this community who might not know me but I still speak about their intelligence and contributions with my friends. (Not to mention, sometimes they get confused when I do so).

Nokia has been one of my favourite companies. The best thing it ever really gave me is this community. SERIOUSLY.

I also feel really proud when I vote for the maemo council.

Keep Rocking!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
I was wondering what the highlights have been for long term maemo users over the years.
What drew you to the platform
First impression: having a serious WTF moment (in a good way) while reading this with my first coffee one fine morning back in May 2005, followed immediately by the other shoe dropping with the Maemo & 770 announcement. I immediately knew I had to have one.

what keeps you here.
Simply put, there's still nothing better out there.

What do you remember
Random highlights:
  • Receiving and unboxing the 770/N800/N810.
  • The shock of using that 4.1" 800x480 screen for the first time.
  • Installing scratchbox and firing up xephyr for the first time.
  • Making the first SIP call with Gizmo.
  • Microb & rtcomm unveiled and Hildon freed in GUADEC 2007.
  • The summits.
  • SSU.
  • Getting involved in the bugsquad.
  • Trying out Mer.

and especially
  • the 1e6+1 things people made (and keep making) these devices do that their designers never even thought of or intended.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Highlights... Hmm

The enthusiasm and welcome I got here from the very first post.

Becoming root for the first time.

Barcelona!

Reflashing - and seeing others retweet the fact that the Bear of Very Little Brain had actually done it!

Friends I can chat to about maemo and other things too.

Finding ways I can contribute either to the group or to individuals.

The sense of gratitude to people who keep on developing awesome stuff for maemo devices.

Maesheep! Designers, programmers, ideas-generators... even Stobbsc and his sheep noises all working together.

Holding hands in the dark (metaphorically in cyberspace) when they sprung meego on us - and working out together what it means (and we're still doing that bit)

Waking up in the wee small hours, and being able to check my email from the device on m pillow (yes, I still sleep with my n900!) and then play games till I fall back to sleep.

Knowing I have freinds all over the world through maemo with whom I could hold a conversation - even if we don;t share a common language - because we share a common interest.

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2010-09-16 at 17:49.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Getting my first thanks here at TMO and knowing that I contributed something to this great (and addictive!) community

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
All the talk about the legacy devices (e.g. N8X0, 770) by the candidates in that Q&A I did got me recharging my N800 for the first time in months - like 3 months! I updated to the latest Community SSU, installed Telescope and Diablo5 theme. And WOW - another highlight for me! That screen size, form factor and now with these little bells and whistles makes this thing so refreshed! Thank you to the devels of Telescope, Diablo5 and the Community SSU. My N800 feels invigorated.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post: