Active Topics

I have acess to an old n900 with no LCD (but working touchscreen and audio/video out). Was wondering if there is a way to have the phone running as a DLNA client only, with no GSM features etc. Like a Live XBMC client running on it to recieve DLNA streams via wifi to leave permanently connected to my sound system?

There is no installation needed.

Open the mediaplayer and you will see the media servers.
(If your LCD is broken you can use a little TV as screen.)

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
if you can install host mode and the keboard/mouse packages from devel, you would be able to use a wireless keyboard and mouse.

i have tried this using s Mythtv 0.24 server as a server, and it works great.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

I dont want the phone sending out any GSM signals and to be as low power as possible when in standby mode. Is there a way to disable the mobile transmitter from kernel? but keep wifi alive

Take out your GSM card.
That's all!

The Following User Says Thank You to gerdich For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by southwalesboy View Post
I dont want the phone sending out any GSM signals and to be as low power as possible when in standby mode. Is there a way to disable the mobile transmitter from kernel? but keep wifi alive
Yes. Install this and, when required, tap the tablet mode button. Simples.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Originally Posted by gerdich View Post
Take out your GSM card.
That's all!
I'm not 100% certain, but most other phones still attempt to gain GSM access even without a sim card (for emergency calls and such). Does the n900 not do the same? It's in a no signal area and will lose battery pretty quickley constantly searching for signal

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
if you can install host mode and the keboard/mouse packages from devel, you would be able to use a wireless keyboard and mouse.

i have tried this using s Mythtv 0.24 server as a server, and it works great.
Little OT but:
I tried this, but i get a media unsupported error? with audio and video with mythtv server 0.24

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by southwalesboy View Post
I'm not 100% certain, but most other phones still attempt to gain GSM access even without a sim card (for emergency calls and such). Does the n900 not do the same? It's in a no signal area and will lose battery pretty quickley constantly searching for signal
http://maemo.org/packages/view/cell-modem-ui/
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

tablet mode works good for wifi use only. A note firewalls can block media clients, so you may need to temporarly setup firewall in learn mode.