Active Topics

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Luleå, Sweden
Found this on twitter:

http://nokia-news.com/nokia-cto-rick...ian-and-meego/

What do you all think of this? I think it sounds hopeful at least.

/oxpo

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oxpo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
I like what he is saying but normally when you look down at the floor you're just talking bs. I'll believe n9 exists when it's released.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following User Says Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Interesting that he said he'd seen the device and software running already and that it was interesting hardware.

Anyway I'm hopeful we'll see something sooner rather than later and look forward to the device (though in this case I wonder whether interesting hardware means "unusual" or "still vaguely relevant but not dual core" ).

The device Rick mentions is indeed real and under development. Meego-Harmattan device with code name "dali" is dead and gone, but as far as I know, a device code name "lankku" is alive and kicking. Nobody knows when it will be shipping, but I really look forward to see it in action. If it is decent, has full featured Ovi Maps, then I'll go for it. It seems Nokia has backed up a bit after huge uproar due to changing strategy, they still insist that they go on with Windows Phone, but they seem to underline the significance and continued effort of their S40, MeeGo and Qt. Which is actually something I might prefer - let the trendsheeps have those Windows Phoneys and make MeeGo something else. Not like ordinary iPhone/Android-clone but something entirely different, aimed at high end and power users. Afterall, it was what Maemo and MeeGo was supposed to be in the first place - one of the biggest fears I have seen in these forums is that MeeGo was reduced to "another Android".

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
The device Rick mentions is indeed real and under development. Meego-Harmattan device with code name "dali" is dead and gone, but as far as I know, a device code name "lankku" is alive and kicking. Nobody knows when it will be shipping, but I really look forward to see it in action. If it is decent, has full featured Ovi Maps, then I'll go for it. It seems Nokia has backed up a bit after huge uproar due to changing strategy, they still insist that they go on with Windows Phone, but they seem to underline the significance and continued effort of their S40, MeeGo and Qt. Which is actually something I might prefer - let the trendsheeps have those Windows Phoneys and make MeeGo something else. Not like ordinary iPhone/Android-clone but something entirely different, aimed at high end and power users. Afterall, it was what Maemo and MeeGo was supposed to be in the first place - one of the biggest fears I have seen in these forums is that MeeGo was reduced to "another Android".
Ofcourse Microsoft will ripoff the best stuff from QtQuick, Meego and Symbian then integrate it in next WindowsPhone OS thats why they dont fully kills Qt/Meego they will "test the market" and release a Meego and merge back to WIndowsPhone. Nokia slaves under the Microsoft department...

History has shown it before :-(

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-02-16 at 20:00.

Oh please...

We all know that everybody in this business copy others. Microsoft does it, Apple does it, Google does it... Nokia has done it multiple times and many Open Source projects rip off features from other platforms. It's nothing new. However, you'll never be a leader if you are nothing more than a copycat. You are a leader when others look at you and want to copy your inventions to their products. And this is what MeeGo should be in my opinion - something stunning that others try to copy. This way there might actually be a place for MeeGo and also possibility for it to break through before that "next big thing" ever gets copied to other platforms. But trying to beat iPhones and Android in their own game is doomed, Windows Phone will have hard time in that competition even as more mainstream OS. MeeGo has to be something else. This is the conclusion I have ended up with during these few days of serious deliberation on Nokia's strategy-hulabaloo.

The Following User Says Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
somehow i believe every word that cto guy has said!
Made my day!

but ...

we are a lil behind the schedule here. What i mean is that it seems that nokia was supposed to learn from n900 and apply all of it to the next (rx-71 or whatever) device .. while meego was supposed to be a better, final, much more polished product in its start then n900 was at its start, meego device is in fact going to be the same experiment product for meego platform, just like n900 was for maemo/fremantle. While i'm totally happy to have meego device just like in the unfinished state that n900 was when it was released, it causes a lot of anger and totally useless debate when ppl express their anger on having bought an expensive device that was kind of an experiment.

Maemo was executed well for a lot of people no doubt, but i hope and pray that the first meego device from nokia not only satisfies the hackers but the general users as well.

Waiting for the next console driven super device

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Why would anyone believe what a Nokia executive says? They should be judged on their deeds, not on what they say.

So, show me the Meego device, Mr Green. Then talk.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Anything Less than dual cores and 1GB of RAM is not worth the risk of getting it. With more powerful hardware will make the device capable of running different OS and easily create a long term life span.

PS: Dual core and 1GB are now the current high end phones market. Anything below that will not be the high end

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post: