Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
What if I wanted simple information on...

the location and function of every file and directory on my N900.

Where would I find it? I scanned the Wiki.

Personally, I'm mainly interested in Hildon info, like icons. But all and everything would be even better.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
I'm not sure if that's documented anywhere, all I could think of would be exploring the rootfs and opt dir

The Following User Says Thank You to JadeH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I'm not sure I could figure out, say, what the init.d directory does just by reading rootfs and opt directories. But you're probably right, that would be how to start. A lot of this info is general Linux lore, but there really should be a unified way to find out what's what.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
What if I wanted simple information on...

the location and function of every file and directory on my N900.

Where would I find it? I scanned the Wiki.

Personally, I'm mainly interested in Hildon info, like icons. But all and everything would be even better.
icons are under /usr/share/themes directory

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
The N900 file system deviates a small bit from your more standard Linux distribution, though I guess all Unix like operating systems deviate from one another in a few significant ways.

Like JadeH said, the best way is just to go looking and see what you find - keep a search engine handy and don't forget to look up man pages for any and every executable you come across.

apt-get install man-browser

It's a long and steep learning curve, but definitely worth the effort.

For init.d and other information about standard Linux/Debian stuff, you could look at http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html (and probably http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ or equivalent wikipedia articles)

To this, the freedesktop.org XDG specifications also define some directories which are often used to put .desktop files and icons into. Things like the Icon Theme Specification would define exactly where.

I doubt anyone would put the energy into making a complete directory list for the N900 at this point, so you'll probably have to look around a bit.