Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by ikirk View Post
If that is it then slightly better than current, but still not quite right.
Not sure whether to just hang on to it and wait for the update.... it might be OK lol

No Maemo though.....

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
SInce you have made a commitment with a contract, I would purchase a sim card with a pay as you go phone and data plan. Then take the n900 out for a spin when you want the real thing...

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ India
Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
Firstly, english would be good....

secondly, just because you can connect to the wifi network that is showing doesn't mean you have access to the network --> BT open zone (in the UK) shows up as an "open network" that i can connect to --> but that doesn't mean you can use it. Check with the hostel, they may give you more details.
so to be a little formal i shall be careful about the way i post. still one more doubt, is it possible to secure a wifi connection with out switching on the encriptions?
basicaly i am a biologist. still i find it interesting to learn programing and stuff like that.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
SInce you have made a commitment with a contract, I would purchase a sim card with a pay as you go phone and data plan. Then take the n900 out for a spin when you want the real thing...
Well its not really a commitment, I was going to keep the plan and same sim anyway, so it is worth upgrading anyway because you get another phone essentially for free (which you can just stick on ebay)

So ill just keep exactly what I have (N900 with T-mobile) and just sell the N8, keep the cash for the N9 lol

It's my own fault thinking the N8 would be a viable replacement, but in my defence I forgot about how crap S^3 is LOL

Originally Posted by thashku View Post
so to be a little formal i shall be careful about the way i post. still one more doubt, is it possible to secure a wifi connection with out switching on the encriptions?
basicaly i am a biologist. still i find it interesting to learn programing and stuff like that.
Not formal, just in clear english, if you don't some people won't understand you, which will limit the amount of people who actually respond! other's just hate text language

I'm not entirely sure what you mean about "encriptions", but yes (basically) you can setup an "open network" with no security and connect to it, or you can setup a secure network with a password (or key) or you can hide the network etc etc

I'm not sure how BT open zone works, but if you go to the pub/cafe/hotel sometimes you connect to the network (which is open) and a web page will ask you to login etc so it doesn't always have to be a network key or password.

If you want to know more, I would suggest reading from info on the net, and then if you have a specific question about how to get something to work or fix something, find the relevant forum and post --> remembering to search first --> as someone has probably already asked the same question. Hope that helps.

So after planning to "retire the N900 to experiementing toy", and using N8 as primary, completely forgetting about S^3 being awful.....

.....I was thinking about using the N8 as the experiment toy and keep the N900 as primary, so.....

.....please forgive the n00bness here, but I am struggling to find any decent infomation on WHY you can't install different OS on the N8, we are doing it with N900/MeeGo, NITdroid etc

I realise that there ARE issues but I would like to know what issues, not just "No". There are plenty of examples of people installing/dual booting different OS', is it just the fact of the missing drivers etc because we already have OS for ARM?

I was thinking Maemo/MeeGo on there would be awesome!!! Nokia probably should have shipped it with either from the start

I also realise this probably isn't the completely correct forum/thread for N8 stuff but I knew I'd actually get a decent answer here!

Anyone with a bit of time, I would really like a detailed answer or list of issues which I can search myself, thanks.

Originally Posted by ikirk View Post
I would switch back to the N900.

My wife has an N8 and while she likes it, mainly due to the camera (which is amazing in terms of picture quality) I really could not see myself EVER going from Maemo to Symbian.

IMO Symbian is horrendous, the interface is long outdated, slow and unresponsive, constantly freezing, upgrades wipe your contacts, SMS etc so you have to sync back to Ovi... a high end device with low end OS I'm afraid.
100% right, just got it in the post, NO-ONE buy this device (until some genuis put another OS on it)!

Everything is horrible!!!! browser is crap, even opera on that screen is terrible, slow, menu's are about 15 levels deep, whole UI is s**t, no IM intergration into contacts, the list goes on and on!

Different OS on here it would be a serious contender, but in its current form it is just terrible.