Active Topics

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Interesting announcement of a beta comms stack for IT OS 2007 on Maemo developers:

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail//ma...ly/010899.html

It's obviously not finished (or it'd be in a firmware), but the most interesting bit to many people here would be:

SIP support

* Basic one-to-one VoIP calls
* Messaging (using the MESSAGE method of SIMPLE).
* Video call between two N800 devices.
* NAT traversal using STUN.
It's excellent to see Nokia releasing these new features for beta testing.

The Following User Says Thank You to aflegg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
<snip> ...
It's excellent to see Nokia releasing these new features for beta testing.
I fully agree with you.

On top I see these features as part of the most useful in the IT.

Thanks a lot for letting us know.

Nice to see them working on the VoIP/SIP stuff, but from reading he mailing list it seems it's REALLY not even ready for alpha testing - much less beta - since it won't even install right now and some of the "bugs" currently in it seem to be pretty big.

Limitations
This is work in progress, thus:
UI

* Helps are missing
* It only speaks English
* Theming is missing (only default one is supported)

SIP

* Calls fail to establish media streams when the device is behind a symmetric NAT and the proxies do not deploy transparent media relaying.
* Calls forked to multiple endpoints may fail to establish media streams.
* Video is not interoperable with other implementations.
* DTMF (RFC4733) is not reliable

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
Though this is the orriginal thread, another thread (http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=7761) posted an hour later has more people discussing this.

I haven't been able to successfully fully install it, I've gone into dependency hell with libfarsight. I have libfarsight0.1 and i need libfarsight0.1-2.

Since I only recently flashed to the new OS and haven't installed all my apps yet, I'm considering doing a fresh flash then install later on today.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I have got this working and have posted on the other thread.

My observation is that libfarsight0.1-2 is installed but libfarsight0.1 comes up as an available Update - I tried to install it before realising the significance of not doing so but no matter, selecting Update fails to install. Something is definitely up with this file, hopefully it will be one of those initial bugs that gets sorted soon.

It is a pity you are having difficulty as this really is the coolest app for the N800.