Active Topics

Operators are slowly starting to support "hd voice" in Finland... if only we could get update, yeah, wishful thinking...

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
It is a pity, but no more updates for N9. :|

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ In the Arctic part of Norway
I've been disappointed with the apparent lack of HD Voice in the N9.

Now I've just seen confirmation from Telecom companies in both Norway and Denmark that the Nokia N9 does indeed support HD Voice on their networks:

In Norwegian (from Telenor):
http://www.dinside.no/913729/hd-voic...r-pr-mars-2013

Danish carrier (in english):
http://hdvoicenews.com/2012/12/21/3-...voice-service/

Are both these carriers wrong.........?

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
I guess they are wrong. Even the recently updated list of the 160 handsets supporting W-AMR doesn't mention the N9. Stangely a "Nokia N7-00" is on the list...
It could be possible the N9 unofficially supports W-AMR. Would be nice if someone on those networks could confirm this. The sound quality should be very audible, especially with a (wired) headset. Kallela's comment earlier would make this highly unlikely as well though.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Yeah, Nokia N9 with PR1.3 does not definitely contain wideband call support (AMR-WB, HD voice). The information from those network operators is just wrong.

Technically N9 could support wideband calls, but it should be provided officially by Nokia. As the call audio codecs are implemented on the cellular modem chip, no community driven support is possible due to inability of flashing custom cellular modem software without Nokia's HW certificates because of security and legislation restrictions. (And no, community cannot get those certificates in any circumstances, if someone is wondering.)

Like we all know, there is no one really left to work with these kinds of updates (even though some still want to believe so), so there won't be wideband support for N9, unfortunately.