I just requested an enhancement for the N9 flight mode, when flipping the screen-switch to on, it should give a pop-up/menu:
"Flight mode on:
1. until deactivated by user
2. for specified duration [amount of minutes/hours to be input by user]
3. until [fixed time to be input by user in alarm clock interface]
"

Note that option one of the pop up means just one click more to the user who
likes to have the current behaviour - a small price to pay for all those who
missed calls due to really forgetting to disable flight mode...

If you agree to (something like) this, please vote for this bug:
harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=773

The Following User Says Thank You to aRTee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
IIRC, there's some nice apps around, for which such a feature-request would be perfect.

I'd like to see the flight mode switching in the profiles UI. Right now I need to access it from the Settings UI, every time I enter or exit the subway. Very inconvenient.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
This could be easily done as a 3rd party application. In fact I've done similar application, RingingRestorer, that displays a dialog with a timeout when user selected silent/beep profile. Then ringing profile is restored after the timeout.

Except it can not be done for Flight Mode, because some stupid decision in Nokia about what credentials to allow for 3rd party applications.

So I suggest people instead vote for allowing us the credential that is required for controlling Flight Mode:

https://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=371

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
I think no apps should be able to disable flight mode (just say no turning the radios back on without user intervention ). Basically when a user turns flight mode on, it shouldn't turn itself automatically off, ever.

ajalkane, I saw that flight mode could not be controlled from an app, but I think it's not an either or situation; I think people should vote for both if they see the need for both.
I think my idea should be integrated into the system as is, and that any profile app should be able to toggle flight mode in a profile as well.

Edit:
to put things another way, if a phone has a sim inserted, it is 100% sure that at some point, the user will want to turn the cellular radio back on.
It is quite likely for the user to know after what delay or at what time the cellular radio should be turned on again. Perhaps for an actual flight, this is not true, since there can be delays, and aside that, passengers are generally informed when they can turn on their phone again, so they won't easily forget that.
In most other cases (movies, meetings, etc), it's quite clear.

Last edited by aRTee; 2012-01-30 at 20:20. Reason: Additional comment on Flight Mode usage

The Following User Says Thank You to aRTee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I'd like to see the flight mode switching in the profiles UI. Right now I need to access it from the Settings UI, every time I enter or exit the subway. Very inconvenient.
Is there a particular reason why you have to go to flight mode in that situation? Just leave the phone as is, and if it fails to connect to a cell tower, so be it, no biggie...

Aside that, yes, the flight mode setting should be on the Profiles UI, alongside with a few other things that are currently not there...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by aRTee View Post
ajalkane, I saw that flight mode could not be controlled from an app, but I think it's not an either or situation; I think people should vote for both if they see the need for both.
Well it sounds like they're not making it easy to use a 3rd-party app to take care of this functionality.
So that should strengthen our argument that it should be integrated into the system/UI.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post: