Active Topics

OT but sorry, I'm NeoFanatic.

Neo900 is very slooooow phone.

There is not even one complete-prototype of Neo900, which kind of black-magic have you used?

It's at least 3 times (well, 4+ times if 1GB will become true) faster than N900, which is still (mine is) quite usable (even the browser is). It's the only choice for hackers (in all senses of this word) & long-term N900 users.

But I don't want to convince you to buy it, I just don't want others think it's slow, when no-one have ever seen it (if we are not talking about proto-boards).

If you want pseudo-linux-device with some MeeGo smell, go Jolla. If you don't insist on MeeGo-like UI/UX, I see no reason why not Android (Motorola Droid or something like that, if you want keyboard).

PS: N950 is not a good idea. Dead. Unsupported. Overpriced.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lexik For This Useful Post:
Jolla has some blobs, but it is optimise for mobile usage, and inside normal linux like N900 (it's too has some blobs).
For python/c++/QML/QT/comand line develop, of cource.

But I never try write code to GTK. Is only problem of porting Maemo/Meego software, or I don't understand any critical mean?

Is any way to try new Neo900 software in chroot in N900?

And i has additional reason: I want use smartphone with pebble smar****ch, and write some aplication for myself, may be, for another peoples(for example, Zabbix/Nagios integration notification, todo application with sync of Google mail).
May be, i can write integration between Neo900 and Pebble, but... It very difficult, i think! All my code less 1000-1500 strings by project.

Last edited by sHaggY_caT; 2014-05-01 at 19:52.

Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Why not get a OpenPandora instead? Was my idea of getting one too but I decided to get a full blown (and rugged!) laptop instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
Why not get a OpenPandora instead? Was my idea of getting one too but I decided to get a full blown (and rugged!) laptop instead.
Wow! Don't know about it! Most intresting project, long years life to it, and good second version (after company fix problem of first peoples, buy device in pre-order.)

But... It is no smartphone

Originally Posted by lexik View Post
OT but sorry, I'm NeoFanatic.

Neo900 is very slooooow phone.

There is not even one complete-prototype of Neo900, which kind of black-magic have you used?

But I don't want to convince you to buy it, I just don't want others think it's slow, when no-one have ever seen it (if we are not talking about proto-boards).
I can be mistake about speed Neo900, Jolla Phone.

juiceme, are you sure, Sailfish OS not SMP for all process?
If I understand correctly after read 2 pages of topic, we can swithch on by /sys fs second core (or by sysctl.conf)

And, I am very thankful to lexik and NeoFanatic, but default debian (LXDE, XFCE DE, Openbox without LXDE, very slow and uncomfortable to usage in N900. Is any optimization (daemons, DE) to Debian distro to Neo900?

Is in this topic a good developers? With good skill? Can you help and ask, how do you think, can I (i'm work UNIX administrator, search work of DevOps now) wrote integration beetween Peble and Neo900?
I have little skill with python (my patch apply to Cobbler project, part of RedHat Sattelite Server), and PHP (wrote webface to support departament). Also I wrote some of little (use for myself) application, use PyQT and bash to N900. I can wrote calculator and some no difficult code with c/c++ But i never take money of my coding.

Last edited by sHaggY_caT; 2014-05-01 at 21:14.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by sHaggY_caT View Post
juiceme, are you sure, Sailfish OS not SMP for all process?
Well, it this infinite world, nothing can be certain, but W00t said that SailfishOS runs most of the time with single core, the second one only switched on when needed.

I think it is OK, shows just how well built Sailfish is as it can perform well on low-end HW...

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
About Neo900 distro: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-rootfs/

I can't find information how it is install in chroot. It's can't run from SD card on N900.

Is any way to try it on phone (no SDK?)

Last edited by sHaggY_caT; 2014-05-01 at 21:22.

Tags
buy n950, buy qwerty, upgrade n900