Active Topics

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Debian's "Squeeze" devkit installed to autobuilder to bring accurate, cross-SDK dependencies

On 24th March, Niels Breet implemented the plan which had been discussed with the Maemo development community: deploy the PR1.2 SDK to the autobuilder so that applications in Extras can take advantage of new features when PR1.2 is released. Unfortunately, there were two unforeseen circumstances: pretty much every package started declaring a dependency on a later libhildon than is available on public devices and PR1.2 wasn't released as quickly as the community expected. The Maemo Community Council, and the maemo.org team, discussed solutions with the community and Javier S. Pedro outlined the plan:
to upgrade the Debian devkit in the Fremantle autobuilder to the Squeeze version (from the current etch one), and start using "improved shlibdeps" (a.k.a. .symbols files) to version dependencies on a much more granular basis (minimal required version of libraries will be calculated per symbol instead of per library). We plan to ship .symbols files for most of the SDK libraries.
This means that packages built in the PR1.2 SDK using no PR1.2-introduced functions will work on a PR1.1 device and even on a 1.0 device. This was done on 14th April and the repository re-indexed with rebuilt packages. After a brief problem with Akamai caching network, packages from Extras-devel are again installable. This allows developers to sanity check their applications before promoting them to Extras-testing for beta testing.

In this edition...
  1. Front Page
    • Debian's "Squeeze" devkit installed to autobuilder to bring accurate, cross-SDK dependencies
  2. Applications
    • Nokia N900 Live Wallpaper
    • First user experience week concentrating on preferences dialogues
    • UX week #2 focusing on icons
  3. Development
    • Maemo 5 "Info Center" provides centralised reference documentation for Nokia-supported frameworks
  4. Devices
    • Example screenshots of MeeGo GUIs for netbooks and smartphones
    • MeeGo screenshots and Nokia: things to understand
    • Video: Intel & Nokia presenting MeeGo running on different kinds of devices
    • Mer 0.17 on Joggler with 3D acceleration
  5. Announcements
    • Help Maemo make N900 and future MeeGo products better
    • Keep track of your N900's location with "I am here"
    • Ring Clock is a colourful clock applet for the desktop

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Once again, many thanks to Jaffa for shipping another issue near-singlehandedly.

Post-LF Summit tourism in SF kept me too occupied to put in time for this issue, but stuck-in-Sweden-Jaffa put it together nicely.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2010-04-20 at 21:18.

Thank you for writing the weekly news articles. I wake up to them every Monday morning before I go to work, and it's one of the things that makes me look forward to Mondays.

The Following User Says Thank You to cyeung For This Useful Post:
Especially with the great news this week that updates from the repos are working again ! Thanks to all involved, it makes the waiting less annoying, although this entire PR1.2 comedy has definitely grown long in the tooth...

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Are there going to be any more stats on downloads like in a previous news - was very interesting in seeing them
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Tags
digest, mwkn, news