Active Topics

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Wasn't quite sure whether I should open a new thread for this, but I couldn't find an existing one where it seemed to fit...

Anyhow, one thing I really use a lot on my phone is a largeish clock on the standby screen so I can quickly pull it out of my pocket and check the time without having to unlock the keys. Does anyone know if the N900 has this on its standby screen? Actually, what options DOES the N900 have for its standby screen, I haven't really seen anything on any of the videos out there. Does it have message notifications etc?

The Following User Says Thank You to dreadnought For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
In Standby, the screen is normally off and locked. One short press of the power button brings up a standby screen showing time and date and presenting an unlock slider onscreen (you can however also unlock with the separate, dedicated unlock slidebutton).
I find it very practical and the clock is easily visible.

Message notification is done through a small LED while the screen is off.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 242 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
In Standby, the screen is normally off and locked. One short press of the power button brings up a standby screen showing time and date and presenting an unlock slider onscreen (you can however also unlock with the separate, dedicated unlock slidebutton).

Thanks for that, that sounds pretty useful.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post

This idea is good but not when you have a lock code on your device and want quickly check the time. It simply would be nice to have "visible background clock" running that won't sackup so much juice.

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Toronto
i wouldn't mind having the clock a little bigger

Everytime you don't click on my blog, I kill a kitten

it'd be a good widget to have

Showing the time in portrait mode would be helpful when pulling the phone out of your pocket with one hand.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't the screen on the N900 a transflective screen? That means it can be seen in direct sunlight. Which also means that if you completely shut off the backlight, you should still be able to see the screen with enough ambient reflected light. I think when we lock it, the screen should be completely off (backlighting and display) but if you tap the screen maybe it wakes up to show you the clock with display on but no backlighting. Or maybe just always have the display on but backlighting turned off when locked.

Hi, actually this feature exists in older nokia phones like n95, e65 or e90, an a lot more, and i found it very useful.
Is used to show a clock and notification/status information.
These phones have a transflective screen too and it can be read with the backlight off if an hight contrast image is used.
For an example, you can read the nokia logo on the N900 the you turn it on after a shutdown even with no backlight.

You can see it in this forum:
http://forum2.mobile-review.com/show...this-one/page2

Regards