Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think I gotta buy one of these things.

Looking at the CompUSA site, and wondering about the protection plan. I click on the link to get information ( http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...pe=ta#moreinfo ), but the link is broken.

I thought I heard that one could purchase some type of one-time trade-in option. That sounded maybe like protection against buying the 770, only to see a new model come out the following month.

I was also curious about other details, such as whether the protection plan amounted to insurance against dropping or breaking the display.

Might anyone have any comments, please?

Thank you.

DG

I got that, it doesn't protect against accidental damages. Only if it's fried somehow you get a new one. It does not mean you can trade in for a new model when it comes out, only if they don't have old model in stock. I only got it because they price match me with nokia even though nokia was out of stok at the time.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Originally Posted by NokNok770
I got that, it doesn't protect against accidental damages. Only if it's fried somehow you get a new one.
Of course it does. Basically, during the period of the "protection plan", you get a one-time ability to return your device and get a brand new one (I once broke the screen on an HP 6315 and got a swap in 10 minutes, no questions asked).

And to get a new model is a bit sleezy - you wait until the newer model is being carried (which usually means the one you purchased was discontinued), then you return it as "broken" (or you "accidently" break it). Kinda iffy, eh?

Brad.

Ok... Ive worked at CompUSA for a year now (Now moving to another company thank GOD) and am more than a little familiar with the "Technology Assurance Plans" (A.k.a.'TAP') From what is being said on the Forums, it seems like different CompUSA's are offering different plans on them... Allow me to explain the difference:

The "Peripheral Replacement Plan": This is the plan that is sold on anything that we arent quite sure how to classify. Keyboards, mice, Video cards, Flash drives, and cd-rom drives all fall into this. Technicaly since the 770 is NOT a PDA, the people at corporate threw the 770 in here at first. This is the cheaper of the plans at around $45 for 2 years (At least in OHIO according to my current TAP guide). This does not cover accidental damage. If the 770 were to short out, die, screen go out (not break), or stop working in 2 years, take it to the store and they will hand you a new one. Once. Thats it. Done. (Note: It must first be checked by the Tech Shop at the store to make sure it is actually disfunctional and NOT broken... such as if the flash memory were to.. oh.. loose all its data ;-) )

The "PDA Express Exchange Plan": This SHOULD be sold on the 770. It runs more expensive at $99 (According to my TAP guide), But does cover screen damage, accidental damage, Running it over with a car, and even Theft (provided you file a police report). Definatly a great value if you are clumsy. Should your 770 need replacing, you call an 800 number and a replacement is sent in about 3 days. This is great since it is protected under almost anything as long as you didnt just loose it, but if you are wanting to get the newest version dont count on it. The TAP group keeps a warehouse pretty stocked with these kinda things in case you do need a replacement. Once they run out, then they will send newer models. Keep in mind they usually keep enough models for about 3 years or so. Last year people were still able to replace sony Clie's even.

NOTE: These plans may vary a little from state to state as state legislators must approve new "service plans" From retailers. Call your CompUSA and ask them!

another NOTE: according to my manager 8 months ago, Even though you are supposed to recieve a replacement through the mail, in the state of california if you go into the store and DEMAND a replacement and bought the latter of the plans, they have to replace it ON THE SPOT.

Hope this helped!

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Solace-

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize there were multiple plans.

And there must be some salesman commission involved with TAP? I sure get the hard-sell on that every time I purchase anything of value.

Brad.

I got the first plan I guess...It was around 50 bucks for 2 years and it didn't even start when nokia waranty runs out...it starts right away. Anyway, the money I saved from the price match went towards the extra year waranty so I guess I'm not too disappointed.

Some people might mysteriously have a broken unit when a new one comes out. But I don't think I could bring myself to breaking it on purpose just to trade for a new model....I think compUSA must be thinking the same. That most people are not sleezy enough to break it on purpose. Else how would they make any money out of it.

haha believe it or not, compusa retail sales have been off of commision for about 2 years. Now though, we are given outrageously unrealistic goals by our managers and corporate, and basically have our jobs threatened constantly if we dont try to sell TAP. As a store, we have to meet 7.3% services on average. Since most sales are done without people ever talking to a salesman (Keyboards, movies, blank cds...), the salesmen are held to an 11% "services" goal. TAP being the most common and cheapest service (Unless you consider the $500 'flex-tech' where a tech will come to your house for four hours and do whatever computer crap you want cheap!)... that gets pushed the most. We do get some 'spiffs' off of TAP... By spiff i mean if you buy a $400 waranty on a computer... we make $5. Not even worth my time... I must say though, Some of the warranties are good. The PDA one that covers theft? Yeah... I bought that one on mine. Just make sure that the salesman does tell you what it does and does not cover. If he says it covers "Everything, no matter what!" He is lying and you should ask to talk to a manager or at least ask to see that in writing.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
I follow the Consumer Reports magazine recommendation and never, ever, waste my money on those "extended" warranty service plan crap. First of all my credit card company doubles the factory warranty for free and second of all the unit is covered under my home owners policy against theft as personal property. Don't ever waste your money on these plans. They are a retailers scam to get your hard earned money. Many people buy them and the majority of people never use them so this is 100% profit for the store. Total waste of money.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Thank you all for your comments.

If I would buy a TAP, does it matter whether I buy online or at the B&M store? In other words, do I get the same service, regardless of whether I buy it online or not? I think someone may have suggested in another thread that it made a difference.

DG

The only thing I can see is that there is only one kind of TAP offered via the online store. Maybe there're different kinds if you buy it from the store?