I have searched around and found some promising threads on this subject, but I wanted to know if I could set up my old N900 to run completely off extra memory card slot. My EMMC has been corrupted for a couple a years and the phone would boot loop, but now it magically sprung to life. But the longer I keep playing with it the more the internal memory degrades until the phone shuts off.

What I am trying to achive is to get this thing running of a memory card. Anyone know what it would take to make this happen? I would love to try to save this device. I am also thinking about sending it out to Nokia to have repaired but who knows if they will even fix the device nowadays. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If your NAND (read rootfs) is okay, this may be possible.
It'll take quite a lot of hacking though.
There is a thread here somewhere on on booting to eMMC.
Use that but make it mount the SD card instead.
Additionally, modify some scripts in /etc/event.d to make them mount SD instead of eMMC as/under MyDocs.
All the above takes quite a bit of hacking, numerous reboots, etc.
I have some related stuff done already and can share but need you to figure things out.

Btw, booting frm eMMC, the N900 may feel more sluggish. A combo of rootfs in NAND and SD would be best.

kh

It's definitelly possible, and few people achieved it already. You will need Pali's uBoot, and some searching, for old, approriate threads.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Thanks to the both of you. I'll be busy

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Palestine,Nazareth
Hello I had the same problem... but now my phone is working and everything is fine

I used this link only to solve the problem :

http://forums.internettablettalk.com...ad.php?t=69081

keep reading until you find emmcworkaround.zip made by Durango. download it and you will find the instructions in it....

Good Luck

The Following User Says Thank You to Badee3 For This Useful Post: