Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Hi,
I've been trying for more than a week now going through googles etc to configure UltraVNC Server so that I can access my home computer with my n900 remotely (I can do this locally in the same home WLAN). Here are the things in my case:

1. I don't have static IP Address to be accessed remotely however I have made my laptop's IP static. Trying to check the VNC Server with this link http://www.realvnc.com/cgi-bin/nettest.cgi gives me this error:

"The IP address requesting this web page is xxx.xx.xxx.xxx (REMOTE_ADDR)

Connecting to port 5900 ... failed: connection timed out
"

2. I'm using ADSL and my router is D-Link Dir-300 and here's how I've tried to do port forwarding:
1. Name: VNC Server
Public Port: 5900 ~ 5900
Private Port: 5900 ~ 5900
Traffic Type: TCP
IP Address: (static IP Address of my computer running VNC Server)
2. Name: VNC Server Http
Public Port: 5800 ~ 5800
Private Port: 5800 ~ 5800
Traffic Type: TCP
IP Address: (static IP Address of my computer running VNC Server)

I also tried PortChecker software but no luck and only complains and at the moment I'm getting dialog box saying that the port is in use by some other application so close it and try again. I'm completely helpless, so anyone who can help/suggest anything on this plz do so I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
The port forwarding ought to work okay, and if you've got VNC working internally then there's no PC firewall issue. It's possible that your ISP is blocking the ports - could be worth checking with them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post: