Active Topics

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum, i've checked before posting but could not seem to find information about this; so i hope i'm not bringing back a long-closed topic.

I've been using and loving a N-900 for almost one year.

Something i happen to do quite often is go through the file manager to access several files/folders i use to work with.

So i've been wondering if there was a way to put a direct access to them on the desktop, apparently there's none.

I tried both from the "add shortcut" desktop option, which only offers apps/widgets; and from the file manager itself, but there's no "create shortcut" option for files/folder.

The way i see it, shortcuts to files could launch the matching application just the way the file manager does; and shortcuts to folders could open said folder in the file manager.

Anyone else interested in such features ?
Worth creating a brainstorm ?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
use the browser. Open desired folder with browser and choose add bookmark to desktop
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
i think you can create bookmarks in browser using file:// protocol

and then you can put on the desktop

There may also be a long dbus command to open the file manager app to a specific location, but I am not sure about that. basically you would make a desktop file containing the dbus command

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Cool, thank you for these replies. I didn't think of the browser option!

Ok so, this works fine, but the shortcuts will ultimately open said files/folders in the browser

In my idea, the shortcuts should open each file in it's "native" app, and each folder in the file manager.

So yes, i was more thinking of a command to open the file manager to a specific location; or a specific file in it's app (just the way the file manager opens files really)

So, i will check how to create a dbus command for that.

Anyway, i think i'll post a brainstorm about it, as i feel that it could be a convenient feature to add to the GUI.

You can try this to open files for the time being (Warning this maybe a bit buggy):

1) Download desktop execution widget

2) Make sure you have selected only "update when clicked" before adding a new command.

3) Add a new command which syntax goes like this:

cd /pathname && process filename.txt

where "pathname" is the directory of the file, "process" is the program you want to use and "filename" is the name of the file you want to open.
For example:

cd /home/user && leafpad Script.txt

As for opening file paths, I think you can try using the web browser as a filemanager and book mark folder directories, but I have never tried it.

Last edited by SavageD; 2010-09-16 at 15:28.

Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
You can try this to open files for the time being (Warning this maybe a bit buggy):

1) Download desktop execution widget

2) Make sure you have selected only "update when clicked" before adding a new command.

3) Add a new command which syntax goes like this:

cd /pathname && process filename.txt

where "pathname" is the directory of the file, "process" is the program you want to use and "filename" is the name of the file you want to open.
For example:

cd /home/user && leafpad Script.txt
I wanted to open an image with the image viewer this way, but had no luck. I tried cd /home/user/MyDocs/.images && image-viewer photo.jpg
also tried image_viewer. Both are stated as the exec in the real shortcut for the image viewer. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by outdoors View Post
I wanted to open an image with the image viewer this way, but had no luck. I tried cd /home/user/MyDocs/.images && image-viewer photo.jpg
also tried image_viewer. Both are stated as the exec in the real shortcut for the image viewer. Any ideas?
Basically if an app cant open with an xterm command, then it wont work with the command line I gave before.

For example leafpad can be called in xterm using

leafpad filename.txt

however image-viewer cant, at least not with a simple command. It may need a long dbus command which I'm not certain of. If i ever figure it out I would post back here.

Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
Basically if an app cant open with an xterm command, then it wont work with the command line I gave before.

For example leafpad can be called in xterm using

leafpad filename.txt

however image-viewer cant, at least not with a simple command. It may need a long dbus command which I'm not certain of. If i ever figure it out I would post back here.
I see. That is to bad.
Perhaps some kind dev could modify the photo slideshow widgets that are available. In them you can select folder, and when pressed they are opened in the imageviewer.

But instead of having an actual slide show it could be modified to look exactly like the regular app shortcuts. That way we could open a specific folder in the image viewer from the desktop.
It sounds simple at least.

Any takers?

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
I have an idea, give me 10 minutes...

EDIT: here we go...

Untar openfile and paste the binary in /usr/bin
Then create your .desktop file.
Here's an example:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.13
Type=Application
Name=Image
Exec=openfile '/path/to/image.jpg'
Icon=general_image
For open folders you can't use the default filemanager.
But FileBox can do this.
Here's an example:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.13
Type=Application
Name=DCIM
Exec=filebox '/home/user/MyDocs/DCIM'
Icon=general_folder
Attached Files
File Type: tar openfile.tar (20.0 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by CepiPerez; 2010-09-28 at 02:21.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CepiPerez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by CepiPerez View Post
I have an idea, give me 10 minutes...

EDIT: here we go...

Untar openfile and paste the binary in /usr/bin
Then create your .desktop file.
Here's an example:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.13
Type=Application
Name=Image
Exec=openfile '/path/to/image.jpg'
Icon=general_image
For open folders you can't use the default filemanager.
But FileBox can do this.
Here's an example:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.13
Type=Application
Name=DCIM
Exec=filebox '/home/user/MyDocs/DCIM'
Icon=general_folder
Hey, tnx for the effort. However, I could not get it to work.
I put your open desktop file in that location and made .desktop file with notepad utf-8 naming it img.desktop (and removed the .txt ending) and changing the exec line then placed it in usr/share/applications/hildon

Restarted, but nothing shows up in the add widget/shortcut menu or anywhere else. Could you give further instructions on this?